Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you buy fabric at Wal-Mart... >

When you buy fabric at Wal-Mart...

When you buy fabric at Wal-Mart...

Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
that comment is insulting to all who are happy to buy wally fabs. it is vicious, slanderous, possibly libelous, unfounded, and contributes nothing useful to this specific conversation.

this conversation is for people who do buy fabrics from walmart. all those who have an irrational hatred of walmart fabrics are asked to please move along without comment.
Thank-you!!!no need for others to be rude about anything.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 AM

What bothers me is that WM has cut off a valuable fab/notion resource for many people who don't have the money or even transportation for fab shops/LQS. My nearest Hancock fab is over 10 miles away. Not just quilting, but to run in for a zipper or fab to make a Halloween costume.

Last year, I purchased a couple of FQ at WM - a dark, batiky, and a multi print. Just to check the fab quality, I cut them in half and have been washing/drying them for several months and occasionally compare with the new, unwashed halves. The colors are still great and the only difference I've seen is slight shrinkage, which also occurs with LQS fabs. Even tho I purchase the majority of fab from LQS or online, I'll continue to purchase the precuts at WM whenever they strike my fancy!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 AM

I have always found a good deal in WM. Be careful and feel the fabric, forget about cost. We spend a great deal of time cutting a piecing and we want to finish with a quality product
Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 AM
QKO

I know this has probably been discussed before, but my understanding of the reason that WM is discontinuing carrying their bolt fabrics is that those departments really don't match up with their business plan because they're too labor-intensive given the product being sold.

In other words, labor costs are too high to dedicate and train people to service departments that sell lower-cost items.

If you look at Walmart stores, the few departments in which they do have people who work there all the time sell higher priced items, like cameras and TV's or eyeglasses, or subsidized items like the pharmacy.

WM will probably eventually get to the point where all their stores only carry pre-packaged fabrics, like they do with their other craft items.

As an online shop owner, our opinion is that people should buy their fabric wherever it suits them. If you're happy with the quality, selection, customer service and price you receive at WM, Joanne's, or any other place you buy, that's where you should buy.

Our job as shop owners is to present our customers with quality product and quality customer service at a price that's fair to our customers and allows us to stay in business.

It's not our job to go around whining about where people choose to buy their fabrics.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by raptureready
I buy and use Walmart fabric when I can find one that still has it. I try to purchase the 100% cottons that have been marked down. As far as the name on it, I could care less. If I like it I get it;if I like it a lot, I get a lot. The "names" don't mean much because I've seen major name brands that I wouldn't bring home for free. I just go by what I like.
Ditto. This is me too.
I am the same way. Just because it cost $9.00 a yard doesn't mean it isn't junk.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I've always liked any of the VIP fabrics from Cranston. That's the only brand name I've kept an eye on at WalMart. For the rest I've just gone by whether the feel was right and whether the colors were what I was looking for at the time. And sometimes if the color was right I got something that was not quite as good feeling just to get the color I was looking for, whether at WalMart, Joannes or wherever.
Me, too! I've noticed that the fabrics I'm drawn to in WM always seem to be the VIP lines by Cranston.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 AM

I have 10 yards of the prettiest cotton you have ever seen that came from Walmart. The selvage says Marcus Brothers. They make nice fabric. I saw it & told the lady I didn't know what I was going to do with it but I wanted 10 yards. It cost all of a $1.50 a yard. It is thick cotton. I bought some fall fabrics yesterday to back a table topper. I washed it & it really didn't even need ironing. So yes I buy it, I like it, What ever floats your boat.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I have 10 yards of the prettiest cotton you have ever seen that came from Walmart. The selvage says Marcus Brothers. They make nice fabric. I saw it & told the lady I didn't know what I was going to do with it but I wanted 10 yards. It cost all of a $1.50 a yard. It is thick cotton. I bought some fall fabrics yesterday to back a table topper. I washed it & it really didn't even need ironing. So yes I buy it, I like it, What ever floats your boat.
Wow, I didn't know WMs carried Marcus Brothers, I like the MB fabrics a lot. I would have bought all 10 yards of that, too!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM

I did ask why they were taking out the material, and if you notice, the fish are out too.

The person told me that the fabrics were not a good sell item, I was amazed. Look I used to be manager in the fabrics & crafts dept, sometimes the fabric sold and sometimes not. But I had a lot of "quilters" come in for their 1/4 yd material! sure the other sewers too. But this person said it is not a good sales item. wow!I think WM has a w3ay to take inventory or scale what is sold and what isn't/
same for the fish
Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Hi all:
I buy all of my material at either WalMart or Joanns and I just buy what ever I like that looks and feels good. Haven't had a problem yet.