Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew! >

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by tula
love it! I too am waiting to find our the pattern!

It's an Amish Wedding Ring pattern. I'll try to scan the pattern and post it so everyone who would like can try it out. It may be a few days though....my scanner and I have a love/hate relationship and I need to have time to fight with it. :)
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

This looks really nice and to think that you are doing it for her but she is involved in the colors and placement. Does she quilt at all? If not she probaby will some day because of her experiences with you.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
Originally Posted by judi_lynne
Beautiful! I know the feeling....I made that pattern (as my 2nd quilt) for my 16 year old grandson in red, black, and white. He would have been mortified at the name of the quilt lol...That quilt is not an easy task. I have the same book that you have! My first quilt was the Dresden Plate that is in that book. Took me a year.

It's amazing how different the pattern looks with different materials. Yours is beautiful, great job and can't wait to see its progress!

Judi

Judi......I think we're going to have to scan the pattern and post it onto QB to share with everyone. It's a great book isn't it? I really wish they had listed a difficulty rating though. It might have made me think twice. LOL

Great idea! I'm with you on the difficulty rating! If you don't mind, I'm attaching the one I made. Picture is terrible, but best one I have of the quilt. I literally finished it on my train ride there to visit them! LOL So took what I could get. The center square are dice ... his room motif is playing cards, dice, etc.

Brian & Grandmom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84644[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84639.jpe  
Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 PM

Very cool! Love the colors and what fun to be able to work on color placements together!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:38 AM

Beautiful! I know the feeling....I made that pattern (as my 2nd quilt) for my 16 year old grandson in red, black, and white. He would have been mortified at the name of the quilt lol...That quilt is not an easy task. I have the same book that you have! My first quilt was the Dresden Plate that is in that book. Took me a year.

It's amazing how different the pattern looks with different materials. Yours is beautiful, great job and can't wait to see its progress!

Thank you so much for posting your quilt.....you've given me inspiration. You've also made me think....."why didn't I do this is just a few colors and then I wouldn't be having such a hard time making sure the bands stay matched up." LOL
What did you do for quilting? I'm not sure if I want to send this out or do some hand quilting. If I hand quilt, she may never get her quilt! I showed my daughter your grandson's quilt and her first words were "does he know it's an Amish Wedding Ring"? :)

Judi

Judi......I think we're going to have to scan the pattern and post it onto QB to share with everyone. It's a great book isn't it? I really wish they had listed a difficulty rating though. It might have made me think twice. LOL

Great idea! I'm with you on the difficulty rating! If you don't mind, I'm attaching the one I made. Picture is terrible, but best one I have of the quilt. I literally finished it on my train ride there to visit them! LOL So took what I could get. The center square are dice ... his room motif is playing cards, dice, etc.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 AM

My reply didn't post to you Judi......thank you for posting your picture. You've given me inspiration and also made me think "If I'd only had several colors, I wouldn't be having this problem making sure my bands stay lined up right!" What did you do for quilting? I'm trying to decide if I want to send this out or hand quilt. She may wait forever if I decide to hand quilt. I showed her your grandson's quilt and she said "does he know it's an Amish Wedding Ring?" LOL
Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 AM

It's going to be a beauty when it's finished. Be sue to post pictures.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:20 AM

Thank you everyone for your kind words. The name of the quilt is a AMish Wedding Ring. I found the pattern in a book "Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns." It was a quilt designed by a woman named Linda Carlson. We've already named this quilt "1st Comes Love". My daughter keeps asking "how long is this going to take, will it be done by my birthday Thursday?" And I was busy complaining about how long all the little triangle units were taking me to piece together and if she had chosen something else, maybe her quilt would be finished sooner. LOL. That's when she informed me the quilt would be cherished forever and my "grandchildren would be conceived under this quilt". :) So we had a little chat about 1st comes love, then comes marriage and so on, haha. Actually I'm having a ball putting this together with her watching every step of the way. I don't think the quilting bug has hit but we've had some pretty special moments together recently. I'll keep posting pictures as "1st Comes Love" comes together!
Love the story behind the title! And the colors are so vibrant!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 AM

Lori, I basically did just stitch in the ditch and outline quilting because with a twin size I was able to do that with the machine and it was easier and quicker. It probably could have used a bit more quilting, but I ran out of time!

I love the quilting as it is in the book, but didn't want to ruin the effect of my "poker chip" look. I think a combination of machine/hand quilting would work. Stitch in the ditch and outline with the machine and handquilt something in the center of the hexagons? I do love your colors, though! They are so pretty whatever placement you decide will be beautiful.

Oh yeah, no way was I telling him it was an Amish Wedding Ring....no telling what he might have done with it LOL

Judi
Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Wow...your 3rd project :shock: You are either brave or nuts... :lol: :lol: Looks like it is coming along really well though. I love it in the brights the way you've done it. Can't wait to see it "all sewn together" with all your final placement decisions! :D