Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have a fear of buying FQ? >

Does anyone else have a fear of buying FQ?

Does anyone else have a fear of buying FQ?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM

I must not have any problem buying FQs, I have a whole chest of drawers full!! I pulled 10 pink, 10 yellow and 10 orange out of my FQs to make the Thangles Orion Star quilt. You can't even tell I pulled any out!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by pieces
I don't fear buying FQ. I believe buying yardage is cheaper. Plus buying a yard of fabric instead of a FQ allows leftover fabric to be added to my stash.
Yep same here, never have purchased a FQ
Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 PM

I just uselly buy a yard I'm given fats at retreat or as gifts but i just don't buy them.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM

I bought a few FQ's on sale at $0.99 each and several others at $0.79 each to make a scrappy Maple Leaf quilt. I also picked several out to make a Dresden Plate quilt (someday). At first, when I only had a few, I couldn't bring myself to cut any of them. But now I figure, if I use all of one up and can't find any more of the same fabric, I'll just find some other fabric that is equally as pretty. I have seen many that I really liked, but refused to buy at regular price.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

I have a large collection of FQs. I still prefer to buy yardage.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM

Rather have 2-3 yds of something I like, more if it's a great neutral. :) FQ just not my thing
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 PM

I love buying FQs. I try to get them when they are on sale. Like discontinued designs. Someday I will make a "Turning Twenty" or some other fun stuff.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 AM

I have no problem buting fabric, just ask my hubby!! LOL
Old 06-30-2010, 02:45 AM

I love fat quarters. I found one at JoAnn's the time before last I was there and bought two, gave one to my sister and kept one for myself. It looks like a Millefiori paperweight. When I was at JoAnn's the other day, all gone - didn't have any on bolts and here I am stuck with one of the most beautiful pieces of fabric I have ever seen and can't use it, because there is no more in this whole world like it! So I just sit here and stare at it. I, however, did pick up six fat quarters of tonal fabric, which they did not have on a bolt that I have had before in a fat quarter, and am saving that for special blocks that need sort of a melding of colors in the center of the block. It works beautiful on "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too". If just anyone read the last three sentences they would think I was out to lunch. Thank God you all know exactly what I am talking about. I also bought about six yards of fabric while I was at JoAnn's this past week. I think I am at the point now where I can buy one/two yards at a time and feel comfortable enough to buy that amount without ruining it all! I've only been quilting since 1997, so I have been doing all my quilts with fat quarters. I am going to start my very first quilt with three colors and four yards for each color. Better safe than sorry~ Edie
Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I love fat quarter packs. They are from one line so go together perfectly. I pick a main fabric color from the pack and buy yardage of that to add to make a quilt. I buy the 100 fat quarters for $99 every year from Keepsakes Quilting. You get one fat quarter from each fabric line they had for past year. No repeats. All top of the line fabric. Fat quarters are the perfect size for the Go die cut machine.
I have thought about ordering the 100 fq from Keepsake! Good idea to order extra fabric to go with the fq for projects.