Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I purchased the wrong material for backing for two large quilts.. >

I purchased the wrong material for backing for two large quilts..

I purchased the wrong material for backing for two large quilts..

Old 06-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I've dyed many fabrics with plain Rit dye. Let the fabric dry after dyeing then I wash in hot sudsy water until the rinse water was clear. I never had the dye to bleed once set. I know many buy the expensive fabric dyes and go through a big process but Rit works great for me for basic colors.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Pam

If you have a guy, you have the start of a stash. My first thought was Hubby's cammies from his USMC days, no reason not to put those into a guy quilt, would look great with khaki. A little out of my flower range, but hey, work with what you've got!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by janb
:oops: I am holding 6.5 yards of a light kacki 100 % cotton. For some unknown reason, maybe because I am new at this, a mistake was made when it was purchased. I am hoping someone will tell me what to do with all this yardage. Because it was cut, the store will not take it back. Woe is me!!!
exactly what was wrong with it? color? too much fabric? Not enough fabric? wrong type of fabric? you've received several suggestions about what to do if it's the wrong fabric completely, but there may be other suggestions if we know what the specific issue is
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Keep the Kacki fabric - goes well with Navy or black or even red! This may be a little off the deep end, but I need to vent a little also. Beware: A note to the quilters who travel to Lancaster PA to get bargain fabrics: You cannot always take fabric back: I was new to PA and I bought 9 yards of Amish black at a Mennonite fabric Barn/store in Lancaster PA, I took it home, cut into 3 yard lengths, washed, dried, I started to iron the fabric with the grain, and it was totally warped - the fabric store owner -would not take the fabric back or store credit - (75.00)I couldn't or wouldn't use it for anything in my quilting, I dropped it off at the "Quilt Barn" with an angry note to keep it and use in their own quilts. I never went back. Since then, I have come to find out that this store buys mostly gray goods - so be careful. Now, I only go to real Quilt Shops for top grade fabric. I was so upset.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

That is a shame. My fabric store will take it back if it hasn't been washed. I guess you just started your stash.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM

Thank you for the suggestion of colors of red, black, navy to go with the light Kacki...sounds like a plan!
Sorry about your bad deal with the return fabrics, however, I do understand that if it has been washed, they will never take it back....I am still going to try to return this 6.5 yds. to Jo-Anns. It was my daughter that said they would not take it back...well, we'll just see !!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM

If all else fails, you can likely sell it in the classifieds here on the quilting board.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janb
I am hoping someone will tell me what to do with all this yardage.
For every "wrong" backing, there is a "right" top just waiting to be sewn. Until then, call it "stash" and enjoy.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM

I'm lucky enough to live near 7 quilt shops. None of them takes back yardage that has been cut for returned cash or credit.

I've never heard of a shop that lets you return yardage you have had cut. I learn something new on these boards every day!