Whale Watch

Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM

My 13 yr. old grandson has been asking for a few years to go for a whale watch. Well, took him today at $38 for each of us; and after spending 3 1/2 hrs. on the ocean....not even 1 whale was seen.
They issued us free tickets for another trip; but it will be hit or miss. Cannot make reservations with these tickets, and they are bright yellow...so can be identified as replacement tickets.
Was a nice day just the same; but not sure when we will try again. There is no time limit on the new tickets...just have to risk the 2 hr. drive in hopes of getting on the boat.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I am sorry to hear that. I hope your grandson wasn't too disappointed.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Google Goddess

I hope you get to see some one of these days!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry that you didn't get to see any whales :( I hope you are sucessful next time!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

How frustrating. Did he have a good time anyway or was it a bust.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM

I hope next time you get to see some. They should let you make reservations though it's not your fault you didn't see a whale. Two hours to drive is a long way to go and not get on a boat. Hope it all goes well
Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry, how disappointing. I have been on 3 whale watches. 2 out of Maine (Portland area) and 1 in Mexico (Baja area). 1 of the watches out of Maine was a total bust, we saw nothing, not even a dolphin. The very first one we went on out of Maine we saw humpbacks and Minke whales as well as bottlenose dolphins.
The one in Mexico was the best. It was an excursion we found on our own (as opposed to the cruise lines excursions) on a cruise we took last February and that one was amazing. We were in a very small boat just a little bigger then a zodiac and it was run by a researcher. The boat only held about 12 people. His excitement was contagious and his knowledge amazing. We got within 10 feet of the whales (humpbacks). They weren't doing anything very exciting though, just breaking the surface to breath. But he did have an underwater microphone and we got to hear one singing. On the last day of the cruise we saw tons of whales from the cruise ship. they were pretty far away but they were breaching (jumping all the way up out of the water) and there was no mistaking what they were and what they were doing even though they were pretty far off, maybe about a tenth of a mile away?? That was really amazing.

You should definitely try again. 2 hours is a long way but if you get to see whales it is so worth it.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 AM

So sorry you didn't get to see any whales. They are truly amazing creatures. They must be to get a boat load of people all on one side to stare down at them! :-)

I'm guessing this is the wrong time of year to go whale watching. I believe they migrate in May and sometime in the Fall (Sept?). That's the best time to see them. Maybe you can find information on their habits on-line that will give you a better idea of when to go. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 AM

Sorry you didn't get to see any whales, but hope the time spent was worthwhile. Maybe next time.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Whale watching is awesome but no one can really guarantee seeing something in the wild. We were lucky when we went in San Diego and got to see part of the migration north. Even then, you are required by law to remain a certain distance away,etc. so you never really get that close (except for those poor divers in the kelp bed who got a real surprise by one of the teenage whales. I guess he got curious. Those divers surfaced really fast. :lol: )

I hope you get a chance to try again. I would research migration paths/times. Whales are much more predictable in that time frame but there is still no real guarantee.