Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: whale qulit pics

As I listed under the main topic, these are the panels Im trying to make into a quilt.

I wanted to add these squares but I dont know how I would do it
    Name:  Attachment-77290.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  72.1 KB

close up of patch
    Name:  Attachment-77291.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  63.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Those are beautiful blocks!!! I love the water fabric you sashed them with :D:D:D

Very nice. Love the fabric

I don't know if something like this is what you may have in mind or not. So here is a pic of a quilt I did with 15" panels and 6" sm fussy cuts in the center.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those squares make beautiful corner stones. I'm not sure how to do it but someone here does , I'm sure.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    that is going to be a great quilt.

Absolutley beautiful, good luck, it's gonna be a beauty!

great blocks it will make a great quilt.

Stunning!

Blog Entries
    I love your Whale fabric. It is truely unique & is going to make a beautiul quilt!! Please keep us posted as you make progress. I am anxious to see the finished quilt. Great work!!
    :D :D :D :D

To add the cornerstones the way you have them laid out in the picture you would need to remove all your sashing that it looks like you have already sewn on (the light blue water look fabric)

You can opt to recut your sashing to your finished size plus 1/2" for seam allowance or sew two strips together along the long sides. Cut your sashing strips the same length as your unfinished panel. So say the panel is 16 1/2" unfinished then all your sashing strips should be cut to this same length.
    Take two cornerstones and sew them to each edge of a top and bottom sashing strip. Take a panel with no sashing, add the new double wide sasing without cornerstones to right and left sides. Then take this panel and sew the sashing with the cornerstones to top and bottom. For the panel block that will be beside, say the right side for sake of argument, sew a cornerstone to only the right side of a top and bottom sash. Sew a plain sash to right side only of panel. Add your top and bottom sash with cornerstone. Now you can connect these two panels and there will be a cornerstone at each corner.
    For the two panels underneath you will not put any sashing or cornerstones on the top edge. For the block in the lower left, sew a plain sashing on either side. Then take one sashing strip and sew a cornerstone to each end. Sew the cornerstoned strip to the bottom of the panel with sash on either side. Take your last remaining panel and sew a plain strip to right side only. Take a sashing strip and sew a cornerstone to right edge only. Attach the cornerstoned sash to the bottom only of your remaining panel. Sew these two panels together. You will have two blocks with no sashing on top but sashing on sides, middle and bottom with cornerstones on bottom. Line them up and sew the two bottom panels to your completed two top panels.

Clear as mud?

Since she's gonna have to unsew anyway, why not find a "dark" and then use more of the water fabric to make a pinstripe down the center? Like, keep the big blocks as they are right now, then sew strips that would be the width of the cornerstones so there is (for example) 1 1/2 inch dark, 1/2 inch light, 1 1/2 inch dark?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Since she's gonna have to unsew anyway, why not find a "dark" and then use more of the water fabric to make a pinstripe down the center? Like, keep the big blocks as they are right now, then sew strips that would be the width of the cornerstones so there is (for example) 1 1/2 inch dark, 1/2 inch light, 1 1/2 inch dark?
    That would work too but would give a different appearance then what she laid out in her picture.

Thank you I will read this again when I wake up with another cup of coffee. I do want to use the corner stones I think they really add to the whole thing. Im going to try and get a batik with yellow going to gold and the orange and try to use that as the sky or sunset. I have it in my mind I just have to get it out of there. Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    That would work too but would give a different appearance then what she laid out in her picture.
    Yup, it would. But it would also leave the most "water" intact.

Uh Oh, maybe my directions weren't clear. I meant for her to reuse the "water" strips she already has on. She would just have to combine them to be one fat piece of sashing instead of the two narrower peices she currently has. does that make sense?

depending on how big you would like the quilt to be... and how much more fabric you have avaliable...

I would leave them exactly the way they are and add some sashing in the dark gray or blue color. then use those squares as cornerstones

I REALLY like how the water lighter blue sets the whale squares off!

I think that would look awesome!!!

Wow, I love all those fabrics! Your quilt will be gorgeous. Keep us posted! :thumbup:

These are great! Where did you find the fabric? My daughter has been looking for just that print.

Uh Oh, maybe my directions weren't clear. I meant for her to reuse the "water" strips she already has on. She would just have to combine them to be one fat piece of sashing instead of the two narrower peices she currently has. does that make sense?
    Yeah, totally! Like, she's not "wasting" any fabric per se, but trying to rework it to add the cornerstones. I'm just thinking that the "water" fabric is so pretty the way it is, surrounding the panels, it would be a shame to make the light blue choppy to add the cornerstones. But the cornerstones are fab, so they SHOULD be included. The way I'm thinking of doing it, she doesn't have to unsew anything, and the addition of the cornerstones becomes a happy accident to do the dark sashing, making the existing blocks (with water) stand-alone.

I think I have an idea. Ill send pictures.

Oh love what you have so far.