Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
whale qulit pics >

whale qulit pics

whale qulit pics

Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

To add the cornerstones the way you have them laid out in the picture you would need to remove all your sashing that it looks like you have already sewn on (the light blue water look fabric)

You can opt to recut your sashing to your finished size plus 1/2" for seam allowance or sew two strips together along the long sides. Cut your sashing strips the same length as your unfinished panel. So say the panel is 16 1/2" unfinished then all your sashing strips should be cut to this same length.
Take two cornerstones and sew them to each edge of a top and bottom sashing strip. Take a panel with no sashing, add the new double wide sasing without cornerstones to right and left sides. Then take this panel and sew the sashing with the cornerstones to top and bottom. For the panel block that will be beside, say the right side for sake of argument, sew a cornerstone to only the right side of a top and bottom sash. Sew a plain sash to right side only of panel. Add your top and bottom sash with cornerstone. Now you can connect these two panels and there will be a cornerstone at each corner.
For the two panels underneath you will not put any sashing or cornerstones on the top edge. For the block in the lower left, sew a plain sashing on either side. Then take one sashing strip and sew a cornerstone to each end. Sew the cornerstoned strip to the bottom of the panel with sash on either side. Take your last remaining panel and sew a plain strip to right side only. Take a sashing strip and sew a cornerstone to right edge only. Attach the cornerstoned sash to the bottom only of your remaining panel. Sew these two panels together. You will have two blocks with no sashing on top but sashing on sides, middle and bottom with cornerstones on bottom. Line them up and sew the two bottom panels to your completed two top panels.

Clear as mud?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 AM

Since she's gonna have to unsew anyway, why not find a "dark" and then use more of the water fabric to make a pinstripe down the center? Like, keep the big blocks as they are right now, then sew strips that would be the width of the cornerstones so there is (for example) 1 1/2 inch dark, 1/2 inch light, 1 1/2 inch dark?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Since she's gonna have to unsew anyway, why not find a "dark" and then use more of the water fabric to make a pinstripe down the center? Like, keep the big blocks as they are right now, then sew strips that would be the width of the cornerstones so there is (for example) 1 1/2 inch dark, 1/2 inch light, 1 1/2 inch dark?
That would work too but would give a different appearance then what she laid out in her picture.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:47 AM

Thank you I will read this again when I wake up with another cup of coffee. I do want to use the corner stones I think they really add to the whole thing. Im going to try and get a batik with yellow going to gold and the orange and try to use that as the sky or sunset. I have it in my mind I just have to get it out of there. Thanks.....
Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
That would work too but would give a different appearance then what she laid out in her picture.
Yup, it would. But it would also leave the most "water" intact.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Yup, it would. But it would also leave the most "water" intact.
Uh Oh, maybe my directions weren't clear. I meant for her to reuse the "water" strips she already has on. She would just have to combine them to be one fat piece of sashing instead of the two narrower peices she currently has. does that make sense?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM

depending on how big you would like the quilt to be... and how much more fabric you have avaliable...

I would leave them exactly the way they are and add some sashing in the dark gray or blue color. then use those squares as cornerstones

I REALLY like how the water lighter blue sets the whale squares off!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 AM

I think that would look awesome!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM

Wow, I love all those fabrics! Your quilt will be gorgeous. Keep us posted! :thumbup:
Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM

These are great! Where did you find the fabric? My daughter has been looking for just that print.