Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Advice on Qulit Plans

Blog Entries

Advice on Qulit Plans

For those of your who do FMQ on a DSM do you develop a quilting plan in advance? If so do you graph it out or what? So far I have only done all over designs such as a meander, now I want to broaden my horizons.
    Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life.

I quilt on a DSM and yes, I plan in advance. I usually hang it where I can look at it for awhile if I'm not sure what I want to do. I have also drawn it out on paper- whatever works!

I draw out my quilt in eq and make a few copies of it as a line drawing. Then I sketch in some ideas that I think I will like. When I know pretty much what I want to do I keep that drawing handy to refer back to.
    If there is an element that I am not sure about I sometimes put some press and seal over that area of the quilt and audition my design there.
    I try to at least have a general idea what I want to do before I start stitching. I am new at this so I have a lot to learn.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Some quilters use plexiglas to audition their quilting design. (I think there are some on this Board who do that.) You use markers that are washable so that you can reuse the plexiglas as much as you want. Here is a little video demonstrating it:

http://longarmuniversity.com/basic_t....htm#Plexiglas

Go down to the second video titled Plexiglas for Pattern Drawing.

Then depending on the complexity of the design, you can then draw it on your quilt with washable fabric marker or freehand it because now you know what and where you want to put your design. Hope this helps!

(Looks like there are some other videos that I will want to watch later.)

When I try out a new quilting pattern, I try to draw lazily on a piece of paper to see if it "flows". I think on a smaller throated machine, it' important to try it out in the confines of the machine, to see if a swoop is possible. When I'm ready to practice the new pattern, I start first on a practice piece before I tackle the entire quilt.

I have drawn the design on golden threads quilting paper and then used temporary spray adhesive to attach to quilt top. Then quilt through the paper and remove later.

Usually the quilt tells me how to quilt it and I don't want to argue with a quilt!! Someone might just see the argument!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

ManiacQuilter2, I'm with you! That is another reason why I like to pin baste my quilts because I think I start to form my idea for quilting during that time. Then I usually just make a few small quilt sandwiches from the leftovers from the quilt and batting and experiment. Works for me!

I plan,but not too awful much. If I FMQ then I use stencils. I do still have to measure and make sure things will fit as I expect

I am watching these posts, as I hope to begin finally using my mid arm this year
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I rely heavily on my stencil collection (and a copier if it needs to be resized) and the Quiltmaker Quilt motif collections (Volumes I -VIII) for EQ7. It makes it so much easier to audition ideas before going to all the work of marking the design in the correct size before quilting.

I also let the quilt tell me what to do. I usually hang it on the wall for as long as it takes to figure it out. Every time I walk by I look at it and ideas start to pop. When I have it figured out I take it to the machine and start quilting. Some quilts take longer than others to start the conversation!

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I let the quilt hang on my design wall until I'm comfortable with what I want to do. Usually though I will end up adding some more quilting along the way as I actually quilt it. I use parchment paper (like you use in baking) if I want to draw a pattern and quilt through it. The parchment paper tears away easily but isn't as fragile as tissue paper so you can wrestle the quilt around the machine more.

I generally try to come up with a cohesive design. Perhaps flowers and loopdiloops on the main body of the quilt, Stitch in the ditch between the borders, and a coordinating flower chain or free-form feathers in the borders. Sometimes I'll finish the quilt top, but then wait until inspiration strikes, or I feel my quilting skills have improved enough to try a new design. Once I find a design I like, I'll spend lots of time doodling it on paper, in the appropriate size, until I can consistently make the design or flower I'm looking for. I've also found that the designs I can most consistently do fmq on my domestic are the ones I'm best at fmq on my friend's long arm. It's muscle memory and visualizing the design as you guide either the fabric or the machine to create that design.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Usually the quilt tells me how to quilt it and I don't want to argue with a quilt!! Someone might just see the argument!!
    I agree. I study my quilt and let it guide me as to how to quilt it. I only mark a quilt if I am using a design I want to follow.

Quilting plan

[QUOTE=MissM;7030590]For those of your who do FMQ on a DSM do you develop a quilting plan in advance? If so do you graph it out or what? So far I have only done all over designs such as a meander, now I want to broaden my horizons.[/QUOTE

I am currently FMQ a queen size quilt on my domestic machine. I usually have a plan in my head and practice both on paper and then on a practice sandwich. What I am doing on this quilt I am doing is a simple meander as I think the quilt is busy enough. It is a log cabin with 9 embroidered leave blocks in it also. I wish I could post but I can't get posting pictures to work. I am not meandering the leave blocks as it wouldn't look right with meandering in them. I will have to do something in those blocks - any ideas?

Blog Entries
    I either take a photo of the quilt top, or print it out from EQ7, on my printer, and then I draw lines on it in pencil until I find something I like.