Social Security

Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

anybody ever had to pay them back?? well i have. I took early SS and never should have done that. but i didn't know. I paid them back at least $10,000 and thought it was all done.
I just got another letter saying i made more than i told them i would in 2009. now owe $5,800.00 -again. taht was the first quote for 2006! oh my soul.
i am looking for the paperwork now and the name of the lady i talked to then. i may just have to call and talk to whom ever answers. first i'm waiting on my old job to let me know the amount i did earn in 2009 before they laid me off.
sigh!!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Oh wow, what a mess for you and I am sure a headache or two also. I will pray for you and this mess with SS.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Ouch! Best of luck, dealing with this!! My heart goes out to you. That's just awful. >>>

Yesterday, just for grins & giggles, I looked at some retirement information. Given that a lot of my retirement fund has gone down the drain, and I doubt there'll be SS when I do retire, it was not a bright picture.

But, on a happier note.... hate being down about things that I can't change today.... I have a job, my Bob, and kitty cats. Plus, I love my stash!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 PM

I hope you can get something worked out with them. I'll say a prayer for you.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Have you found a good tax attorney who specializes in this sort of thing? A good one can help you sort this out and you'll have no more surprises.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Lab fairy is right...get a good tax attorney. I know too many people that went round and round with SS admin. for years...
Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM

My dad is a tax atty but doesn't specialize is social security but some do. I do know that the extra interest imposed on what is owed can be a killer so it pays to get help. Sometimes there are ways to settle the debt without all the excessive penalties.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

well all i can say is never take SS early!!! not without knowing all their rules anyway.
I was under a lot of stress and knew a lay off was coming. asked my hubby what to do and never got an answer. so i applied. oh well, things will work out one way or another. i haven't had us starve yet.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM

why do you have to pay them BACK???? I'm receiving widow's benefits...and no one said anything about paying back.....inquiring minds want to know!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Some people receive benefits then work and earn over a certain amount or were mistakenly granted them in the first place. There are a lot of reasons for paying benefits back if you don't meet criteria. Every case is different and not everyone has to pay SS back.