Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Social Security Scam?

Social Security Scam?

Got a call from person saying he was from S/S and to call number; said it was suspicious activity or something like that. Of course, I didn't even answer it as we screen all calls and don't answer if we don't know who is calling. But, the bad thing is that my husband did loose his s/s card and got another one just a few days ago. And they said there was really nothing you can do about it if someone tries to use it. I'm sort of concerned. Anyone ever gotten a call like this? I went on line and there was a message that said there was a scam like this going around.

Sounds like a scam to me too! All one can do it monitor their credit, and keep personal info close to the vest so to speak. Scams pop up constantly, and one really has to be on their toes to keep up!

Here is a post by the ssa about scammers:
    https://blog.ssa.gov/is-that-phone-call-from-us/
    'Tacky' does not necessarily refer to the quality of adhesiveness.

Social Security won't call, they are not even allowed to help you when you fill out forms for SS. You can put a stop on all credit applications and take it off when if you need one. We have credit applications blocked. We recently bought a house and had it removed for that and the block went right back on. No one can use our info to get credit, take out a loan, etc. Everyone should have a block on their credit until they need it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Onebyone is talking about freezing your credit reports and I agree wholeheartedly, everyone should freeze/lock their reports and only lift them when you apply for credit.

Experian
    https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

Trans union
    https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze/home-llt

Equifax
    https://www.equifax.com/personal/cre...port-services/
    Lisa

We've gotten those 'calls from SS' several times. Once we got two calls, back to back, about a minute apart - from different numbers. Ignore them. SS does business through the mail or you can set up an ID on the SS web site.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

The call was a scam. If you want to talk to SSA about your husband losing his card and if there has been any activity, I'd just call them directly. As has been said, check your credit reports if you feel it's necessary.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

The SS scam is about someone "using your SS number for illegal activity." Like when you buy and sell drugs, you always give your SS number, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    The SS scam is about someone "using your SS number for illegal activity." Like when you buy and sell drugs, you always give your SS number, right?
    Barb, that was so funny it made me laugh.

So many scams popping up everywhere. We don't answer the phone if we don't know the name. Most only have numbers, no one we know.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It's a scam, but if you are concerned at all, you can call SS and report the call. They know what scams are going around ... and they really would like to hear from you, because they need to know n case this is a new one.

I love what ptquilts wrote... LOL!

Yes, I got the same call this week saying that me SS has been compromised. That I needed to call this #. I just hung up. It was a computer generated voice.

I recieved a call last week saying that told me I cheated on taxes. I was then told to call them to fix this problem immediately or be fined and be deported. I am an American and haven’t filed taxes in many years due to my age.

Blog Entries
    sign up with Credit Karma- its free and will notify you f anything looks suspicious about using your social security number, I had my identity stolen about 2 years ago and its been a nightmare but finally got it stopped ,a person with the same name as mine was going to take advantage of my good credit rating, she got caught as she lives in Texas and I live in Florida.The company she was applying for credit called me to verify the transaction(I have a listed phone number ,attached to my Credit Karma. Please keep us informed as to how it goes. and no,Social Security will never call you ,and yes, it is a scam,.

I agree! Freeze everything you! We had our reports frozen routinely when the Experian(?) scam happened years ago. Thank goodness.

Blog Entries
    Never respond to an unsolicited phone call or email from SS, IRS, Credit Cards or the Bank. Contact them directly through your own contact info and ask if there is a problem. If you do online banking or CC payments, you will have a message/notifications link. If they want to contact you, it will be in here. Also, if it is an email, please report it as phishing. The only reason that the 'Nigerian' scams are still making big money is that people are still allowing themselves to believe in them!!!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-21-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Sure sounds like a scam to me. I'm so paranoid about giving out my SS number that I won't even set up an ID account on the SS website because you have to put in your SS # in order to do that. I don't & never will put my SS # on the web for any reason. My bank told me that I could check my credit daily through a credit report but in order to do that I have to type in my SS # to set up the account. NO WAY! My thoughts are....if it's on the web it can be retrieved by someone else! Now that's just me....call me "overprotective" of my SS#.

It Is a scam. Social Security, like every government office, loves a paper trail. If there was really an issue, you would receive a letter, not a phone call. I get these calls every couple of weeks. But, tell your husband it is best not to carry his SS card on his person---less likely to fall into the wrong hands.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-22-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Thanks for all comments.

Blog Entries
    The social security administration will Not call you. Any problems will be addressed through the mail. Any calls asking for your social security number are scam calls- do not return the call or ever give out your social security number to anyone you do not know. There is a big scam going on right now.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I'm turning 65 next month and while I haven't a clue what all I'm supposed to do. I just found out I have to go into the SS office and fill out forms. Anyways, I've been getting calls constantly. I tell them I don't talk about anything personal to a stranger on the phone. They then hang up. So many scams out there, I don't trust any one.
    Judy