Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone know of a video tutorial for freezer paper piecing? >

Anyone know of a video tutorial for freezer paper piecing?

Anyone know of a video tutorial for freezer paper piecing?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 AM

I am going to be making a few paper pieced projects this fall - and I'm excited about doing it and have been reading up - it seems like doing the freezer paper method of paper piecing has a lot of fans and I want to try it... I love the idea of not having to rip out the paper and all...

I've seen the twiddletails tutorial and as much as it's a great tutorial I hate to say it, but it's just not clicking and I don't know why it isn't clicking, it just isn't. I've also seen a few other tutorials online for it and it still just isn't clicking at all.

I did a youtube search for a video tutorial on freezer paper quilting and it really only brings up applique tutorials which is not what I want to do.

Does anyone know of a video tutorial that really makes sense? I'm just not understanding how you don't sew through it. I know as soon as the light bulb turns on it will all make sense but it's just a stubborn switch on this topic :(

I guess my big thing with it is - don't you end up sewing - even by accident - the freezer paper?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Looks interesting! I don't like tearing the paper off either.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:13 AM

Never tried it myself, but a search shows this:

http://purpleandpaisley.blogspot.com...-tutorial.html

Not a video tutorial, but so many pictures.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 AM

That is a nice tutorial but it won't work for this project with all the tiny pieces and all. It's got to be done like paper piecing.

I'll just wing it and see it if makes sense once I start on it... very well might and then I may fall madly in love with paper piecing and never look back lol
Old 08-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

From the looks of it, I think this will be difficult with lots of tiny pieces. You may just to have to do it on paper and tear away. Good Luck! I will be watching to see how it works for you.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 AM

This may not belong here, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this? I've downloaded the freebies, but haven't tried yet. http://lindafranz.com/section/inklingo-home/1
Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 AM

With the freezer paper method, you fold the paper back on your stitch line when you flip to sew and then stitch right next to the paper. I'm not sure how well that would work for teeny tiny pieces. It works very well for the rays on New York Beauty Blocks and pointy stars but those itty-bitty pictorial type paper piecing patterns are a pain in the patootie no matter which method you use.

Try a few blocks with the traditional method and you might be better able to understand the freezer paper method.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I think you can mix both methods.
On the bigger pieced sections, freezer paper, smaller pieces traditonal PP :D:D:D
Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I think you can mix both methods.
On the bigger pieced sections, freezer paper, smaller pieces traditonal PP :D:D:D
You're right amma, there are places where you pp sections of a block than sew those sections together. I've seen a tute somewhere online but can't remember where!! :(
Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 AM

amma I was thinking the same thing - freezer paper for the bigger pieces and do the paper on the small ones I'm actually considering printing on washaway stablizer and doing it that way for the small pieces.. thinking... I haven't gotten that far yet lol.

This morning I did take my scanned pages and resize them 150% to make the finished wall hanging a bit bigger. I think that will be nicer for the spot that I want to hang my first one in anyway... and found a program for Linux that will tile it and save the pages for me and I gave it a go and it looks like it will be a winning thing. I'm really excited about the projects... I tell you what, I'm really glad that my library was able to get that Foundation Pieced Nature Quilts book in for me. It has several in there that I want to make. Yay!

Okay. I'm going to give it a go next week and see how it goes for me. Fingers crossed. I'll post my progress...