Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lifespan of a cutting mat? >

Lifespan of a cutting mat?

Lifespan of a cutting mat?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:06 AM

There was a post about this yesterday or the day before. If you every month or so use warm sudsy water and a nylon scrungy and wash your mat it will last longer. Dip the scrungy, not the mat, wring it out and then go over your mat in a circular motion. Rinse and allow to dry flat. It will allow the self healing to work better and add life to your mat and your blades. You shouldn't "scrub" hard.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
And to think, I was allowed two reproductions. A girl and then a boy. Fortunately they both turned out wondefully, but I never had the oppertunity to test my theory because another child was just not what could afforded at that time.
You made me smile before I leave for work - thanks!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:21 AM

If your mat is totally worn out and can't be used to cut on anymore it's still useful. Cut it up into strips the size of the bottom of tote bags or purses and use it in them. No more saggy bottoms!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 AM

Good idea, Rapture...we don't like "saggy bottoms" in any area of our lives, do we??? LOL
Old 08-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I give my mats a "quick bath" every now and then to help keep it from getting dry and crackly. I use warm water with a bit of Dawn in it, and wipe gently with a soft rag, rinse, dry with a towel. I then let it air dry too. My bigger mats I bathe in the tub. My mats have lasted for quite a long time, and I do use them lots! Hope this helps!! :)
Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies. My cutting mat is still in pretty good shape and I haven't had any problems - just wanted to get an idea of how long folks have used theirs.
Mariposa - I give it a bath every so often with Dawn dish liquid as well and have found this works well.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
they do dry out, get brittle to the point they will almost snap in half. Lots of cut lines showing and your cutter will skip and you have those little threads that didn't get cut. I have started writting the date on all my new ones. They do wear out, and will dull your rotart blade. Mine are used ALOT so that may explain my take that they do wear out. I wait for 40% off sales or coupons.
Just purchased a Fiskers and LOVE it so far, blade seems to glide over it. Will have to see how it holds up, AND it is reversable with lines:)
Oooh, where did you get it ?
Old 08-28-2010, 05:33 PM

When I first started back sewing 4 years ago my friend bought me a gray fiskers for xmas. I was thinking that i needed a new one too. I do turn mine around often. I have a few deep cuts in a spot. Hope to get a little more use out of this one. I also have a small 12 olfa rotary that I really like to use for the samll things. Then I bought a nother small one at a yard sale that I use. I don't think that one is self healing. It use only a 25 cents so couldn't beat that.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like my mats have a few good years left.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 AM

I need to replace mine; it's a cheapie purple one that's onesided from WalMart....had a wonderful thick green one from when they first came out but took it to work to help out with a friend's quilt---left it in the hot car---and never could get it flat enough to use again. Will definitely buy a green one (coupon at JoAnn's!) the next time. Cheapie purple has been used a lot in the past few years and is starting to show her age....