Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My second time renting time on the long arm >

My second time renting time on the long arm

My second time renting time on the long arm

Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 PM

My first experience renting time on the long arm quilting machine was good but I had some tension problems that I didn't notice until half way through because I threaded the machine wrong. My second experience (this morning for 3 hours) I was able to finish the bird quilt (fill in where I had to rip out quilting because too loopy on back) and complete the dino kid quilt. I am please so but I obviously need more practice. I would like to know how you think out your quilts and what kind of patterns you do where.

I fell in love with the bird fabric when I first saw it but didn't know what to do with it. I don't love it so it was good to practice on.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110458[/ATTACH]

closer look at the birds. Fabric is too busy to see the quilting...thankfully!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110459[/ATTACH]

Bought this fabric at walmart and need around 18in to make binding. The one walmart that still has fabric around here doesn't have any more. If you have it or can get it I will gladly pay you. Please pm me if you can help.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110460[/ATTACH]

I just loved this panel and it was fun to quilt it in bright green. Of course that means you can see all my mistakes/ I mean artful stitching. ha ha
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110461[/ATTACH]

and these are the $2/yard fabs I picked up at walmart (5 yards ea). the middle one is kind of sage green. I figured they would make fine backing fabric at $2/yard it's cheaper than muslin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110462[/ATTACH]

I meandered around the dinos and outside border. I did a kind of dental pattern in the interior pebble border and graduated circles/curliques in the green. At first I didn't quilt on the dinos but the back looked so bare I decided to go over them a bit.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110463[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-110453.jpe   attachment-110454.jpe   attachment-110455.jpe   attachment-110456.jpe   attachment-110457.jpe  

attachment-110458.jpe  
Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Your quilting looks great!! I wish we had a place around here where you could rent time on a Long Arm. It would be a good way to get a feel if you really wanted to buy one.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM

are you needing the green leaves? That looks so familiar, I will check my stash to see if I have some.

Barb
Old 09-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Your quilting looks great!! I wish we had a place around here where you could rent time on a Long Arm. It would be a good way to get a feel if you really wanted to buy one.
You will get so spoiled when you tried one, you would just have to get one of your own. Makes it so easy to finish a quilt. I love mine.
Barb
Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stitching4Fun
You will get so spoiled when you tried one, you would just have to get one of your own. Makes it so easy to finish a quilt. I love mine.
Barb
Yes, but at $8,000 for the smaller one, I will be renting time for some time to save for it. Plus, if I rent 25 hours or so, I will know if it is something I will get better at before I commit to that kind of money. And that is the plain jane version!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 PM

I have some of the bird fabric too. I never know what to do with stuff like that but you can up with a good setting. Your work is very nice.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by acesgame
Barb
Yes, but at $8,000 for the smaller one, I will be renting time for some time to save for it. Plus, if I rent 25 hours or so, I will know if it is something I will get better at before I commit to that kind of money. And that is the plain jane version!
Every quilt you do will get easier, it just takes a lot of PPP. Practice, Practice, Practice!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 PM

I am thinking of renting time on a Long Arm too, but just haven't done it yet. It sounds like a lot of fun. :)
Old 09-03-2010, 05:39 PM

are you needing the green leaves? That looks so familiar, I will check my stash to see if I have some.

Barb
Yes!! Thanks for looking.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Your dinos are cute. I think you did a good job on the quilting. At least you mistakes (which I can't see) must all be buried.