Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
old pillow cases >

old pillow cases

old pillow cases

Old 02-26-2007, 05:31 PM

My mother had many old flour sacks or pillow cases, and I would like to
make a quilt out of them. Do you have any pattern or have you maded a quilt like this? I would like to know how I might get this started. I
thought that I might use the design as the center and use the color area
for the surrounding to form a square. I am new at quilting so I don't
have the know how and knowledge of how to start. Need your help.
Edwina
Old 02-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Please describe the flour sacks. Are they printed all over...or do they just have some designs in some places? This is hard to figure out. Do you have a digital camera and can you send us a photo?

Some of the old feed sacks were printed all over. I remember those as a girl because we made skirts out of them. My Mother never made a quilt so I never saw this in progress. However, there are designs for quilts made in the 30's and 40's. Some of the other members should be able to help you with designs. But it would be helpful to have more of a word picture of exactly what you are looking at when you see these flour sacks. How big? etc.

Welcome to our group...if you are new. Since you are new to quilting, you will get lots of specialized help here. Just wait a bit....responses will come flooding in . OK girls, go to it!!!

June
Old 02-27-2007, 03:48 AM

i would but i'm not quite old enough, i did have baby clothes made from flour and feed sacks tho
Old 02-27-2007, 05:10 AM
Administrator

does she have to use any specific pattern in particular? couldn't she just cruise through block patterns and use whatever is pleasing to her eye and easy enough for a beginner?

Edwina - don't start setting limits or obsessing about rules. quilting is for fun, self expression, fun, sharing, fun, relaxation ... and ... did i mention ... FUN???!!!???

here's one website to visit for inspiration. from the home page, click on "shopping"

http://www.feedsacklady.com/
Old 02-27-2007, 05:32 AM

I remember well the feed sacks, the quilts made from them, and the laughter surrounding the process. You can do ANYTHING you'd like with them. 9 patch, 4 square, flying geese, anything! If they are in bad shape, thinner in spots or something.....do a scrap quilt. Like Patrice said, don't get bound up in rules and "have to" just enjoy the fabrics.

Most of the time, I have to lay the fabrics out on a bed, table, or the floor, to get my inspiration. Enjoy your fabrics.

Welcome to the world of obsession, quilters can't stop!
Sharon from North Carolina
Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM

I thought I read where someone asked how to go about finding someone to do quilting for you. I know someone I met through another group who does hand quilting. If you are interested, please contact me. I am sure she can send you photos and give references.

I have found long arm quilters who do not do a good job. One said she is not the best, in the area, but she is cheapest. The finsihed quilt did not resemble any quilting I had ever seen done.

I think we all agree that we need to find someone who does a good job and encourage that person by giving them work. When we have spent so much time creating the quilt top, we want a good quilting job to make it even nicer. This woman has done quilting for a number of years and does work for the Amish. She must be good.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 PM

Welcome Edwina

How lucky you are to have some of the old flour sacks. I am 65 and I remember well wearing dresses and matching bloomers to school made out of those flour sacks. I remember one pair of bloomers that you could read the name of the flour on them I think it was Aunt Jamima. You should be able to come up with some simple strip quilting or squares mixed with triangles, etc. I guarantee you that if anyone can tell you these ladies on this site can.

You will learn a lot and have lots of fun reading the postings and looking at the pictures.

Good luck, Jane Sisk
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM

When I went to a local quilt show they had pillow case size bags opened and pressed, no writing. These were in great shape. 25 dollars each......I rmember buying some at a garage sale for a quarter and letting my daughters make doll clothes with them. :shock:
Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 PM

Edwina,

In one of the quilting magazines I subscribe to....which one is it? They featured a quilt made from cigar bands....It would be easy to make any quilt of your choice from the sacks depending on the size and logos, prints and patterns you have.

Most of all, have fun, remember that not always is symmetry important, and really enjoy what you do! :)

L