Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page for Week  6--Blocks 11 & 12 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page for Week 6--Blocks 11 & 12

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page for Week 6--Blocks 11 & 12

Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 PM

Ok Guys--Let's Chat!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 AM

I should be cooking dinner ;) will add my latest photos later tonight. Found these two blocks to be easier. Not looking forward to starting the next two #14 looks like it is going to be a pain :(
I am making Monday my Farmers Wife day so far so good...
Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle
I should be cooking dinner ;) will add my latest photos later tonight. Found these two blocks to be easier. Not looking forward to starting the next two #14 looks like it is going to be a pain :(
I am making Monday my Farmers Wife day so far so good...
In both #13 & #14, there are 8 two-color squares (different sizes for each block). For each block, if you have enough of your two fabrics to sew together 2 strips, ON THE BIAS, the exact depth of the template x 3? squares wide (measure & be sure it's long enough for the number of squares you need to cut), you can then cut your two-tone squares out on the straight of grain. You have to sew 2 seam lines to where the top stitching line & the point of the triangle template fit just within the 2 lines of stitches ... then after you cut your first triangle (opened up it will be the 2-tone square you need), you flip the template and cut one in the other direction ... until you have 8. I use this method on all my blocks that have 2-color squares; it is quick, it is easy, it is accurate.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 AM

I am newly registered but have been following this board for months. I have started the FWQ and have completed 41 blocks so far. I have never done anything quite like this but I am enjoying it very much. I can't get a picture in my head of what you are referring to. Is it possible to explain further? This is for Weezie.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Abigail's Mimi
I am newly registered but have been following this board for months. I have started the FWQ and have completed 41 blocks so far. I have never done anything quite like this but I am enjoying it very much. I can't get a picture in my head of what you are referring to. Is it possible to explain further? This is for Weezie.
I forgot to mention that I could not use this method for blocks 13 or 14 because I was using pre-cut 2-1/2" strips & squares.

I typed another long explanation, but decided it was still confusing, so I erased it and I will do it later with pictures added. Probably some time today, so stay tuned!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
Originally Posted by Abigail's Mimi
I forgot to mention that I could not use this method for blocks 13 or 14 because I was using pre-cut 2-1/2" strips & squares.

I typed another long explanation, but decided it was still confusing, so I erased it and I will do it later with pictures added. Probably some time today, so stay tuned!
Here goes my attempt at pictures + explanation:

1st photo is 2 fabrics, right sides together + lining up straight of grain with square ruler and determining bias with 24" ruler.
2nd is where ruler is positioned to draw the 1st sew line.
The last photo should have been #3; shows how I determine the distance between the lines I draw & sew.
3rd has 5 sew lines drawn; as you will see, this gives me 2 strips when they are sewn & cut. They are the depth of the #38 triangle.
4th shows really crooked sewing, but since I cut this into little pieces, that's not such a big deal.
5th are the cut strips and 6th shows the template ready to cut the first little square; the dotted line of the template lines up with the sew line.
7th shows a few pieces cut ... just alternated/flipped the template position because I had sewn enough seamlines to be able to do that.
8th shows the finished blocks + a little spare piece of strip if needed and the larger triangle pieces will be used in the quilt block also.

If I have told you the obvious, I apologize. If I've left any questions, let me know.

2 rulers to determine bias
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114222[/ATTACH]

ready to draw 1st line
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114223[/ATTACH]

3 lines drawn & fabrics pinned securely
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114227[/ATTACH]

Strips cut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114235[/ATTACH]

Ready to cut 1st triangle/square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114245[/ATTACH]

Flip template & cut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114247[/ATTACH]

Cut, trimmed & open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114328[/ATTACH]

This pic should be #3 in sequence.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114337[/ATTACH]

Stitched & ready to cut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114391[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-114217.jpe   attachment-114218.jpe   attachment-114222.jpe   attachment-114230.jpe   attachment-114240.jpe  

attachment-114242.jpe   attachment-114323.jpe   attachment-114332.jpe   attachment-114386.jpe  
Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 AM

I'm caught up! I'm working on these blocks right now. I'm doing the half square triangles like Weezie posted.

Honchey, I was looking at your blocks and they are always PERFECT! How do you do it?!

I'm not liking my fabric choices. I laid them all out and I don't know what it is, but I'm just not liking them. I need to "balance" my colors more or something.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Regarding the HST blocks demo., I forgot to tell y'all 2 things: use a small stitch length and, since it is sewing the strips on the bias, I normally sew on paper. (I forgot to do that in that little demo.) For that, I use adding machine paper, which tears off easily; printer paper will work well, but, in addition to the small stitch length, you must crease the paper well before you remove it, so as to not pull stitches awry.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:41 PM

Stefanie, They are not perfect! Block 11 has 2 very noticeable missed points. I would have liked them to be better but decided to leave them alone. We all need humility in our lives and quilts. Anne
Old 09-09-2010, 02:17 PM

thanks for the demo Weezie, it looks really easy. Will give it a go