Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pumpkin Pie from a real pumpkin not a can >

Pumpkin Pie from a real pumpkin not a can

Pumpkin Pie from a real pumpkin not a can

Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Google Goddess

http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php
Old 09-10-2010, 02:33 PM

there is a reason they sell it in cans. If you have ever wrestled with a large pumpkin you know why.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Peeling and slicing a pumpkin is dangerous, tedious, and time consuming. I made a fresh pumpkin pie and there wasn't much difference from using canned 100% pumpkin. Certainly not enough to be worth the effort.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Google Goddess

ok, I will stick to the can pumpkins, less work!!!

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Peeling and slicing a pumpkin is dangerous, tedious, and time consuming. I made a fresh pumpkin pie and there wasn't much difference from using canned 100% pumpkin. Certainly not enough to be worth the effort.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Thanks! My Dad planted ALOT this year!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:52 PM

actually they are saying canned pumpkin is healthier then fresh. It has more nutrients i think...this lazy girl will use canned anyday!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Speaking of....you cannot buy canned pumpkin here at all. Not one can left on the shelves anywhere. We were told that the Libby Pumpkin fields all failed from the floods this year and not to expect to find any canned pumpkin til next year.
Is anyone else out there having that problem? All I can find right now, are a few cans of sweet potato pie filling. We don't even know if there are going to be pre-baked pies for the holidays.
Our pumpkin fields seem to be doing okay, so I guess I will be going the "real" pumpkin route this year.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 PM

I ONLY make pumpkin pies from fresh pumpkin. Wanna see the scar on my knuckle that took 7 stitches? lol
I think it tastes MUCH better considering I really don't like pumpkin pie. My family can tell the difference too.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Dealing with a fresh pumpkin is really fairly easy. I deal with it the same as I do butternut squash. Wash the pumpkin, use a long 2 pronged fork & stab holes in it -all around the top to let out steam. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil - making sure the edges are up to catch the juice.
Bake at 350 degrees for an hour to an hour & a half. You will see the skin get slightly soft & a liitle browned.
Remove, cut a circle in the top of the pumkin & pull out. Set aside. ( Butternut squash I cut in half.) Let cool & you can cut in sections, scoop out the seeds & peel with ease. I put the meat in a colander to drain.
Sometimes, if it is too watery, I cook for a while in the crockpot to reduce - adding the sugar & pumpkin pie spices for the pie. PS - I much prefer to use cheese pumpkins!
Hugs,
Terry in NY
Old 09-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Ugh - canned pumpkin!
I even like the little lumps that sometimes happen in fresh pumpkin pie. Cutting up the pumpkin has never seemed to be much of a chore, especially once getting in the rhythm. Then you get the delicious smell of cooking pumpkin. Yum!
Here's a recipe that is super easy and super delicious.

one 9" unbaked pasty shell
2 cups pumpkin
14 oz. can Eagle Brand Condensed milk
2 eggs
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 425. Combine filling ingredients, mixing well. Pour into shell, bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 and continue baking 35-40 minutes until a knife inserted 1" from edge comes out clean. Cool before cutting.