Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy Quilts >

Crazy Quilts

Crazy Quilts

Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 PM

Hey! I saw a chat about crazy quilts between Janie Curry and ...uh...somebody else....my mind is asleep in bed where I ought to be. But, I hope you won't mind if I put my two bits in on that topic. I saw where one of y'all mentioned that you'd use 9 x 9 blocks. Now, I don't know a whole lot about crazy quilts, but how crazy is a quilt gonna be if you immediately start off with a particular size of blocks? :D
After all...that doesn't make it too wild and crazy, eh?
I'm gonna start buying just ends and strips and things that are left over at the fabric store...I was thinking satins and ribbons and velvet all the stuff I couldn't afford a half yard of for a whole yard! Then a pkg of braid that had been ripped open that was fit expensive...but marked down.
Do you see where I'm going? I'll make it "crazy", but still have a general idea of where I was going. So, I won't make it so unsightly that nobody would want it, even for the cat to sleep in. Later on, when I get better at it, I'll try my hand at including scraps from my great-granddaughters' dresses and stuff. I think it would be a memorial thing for each of them - like of the dresses and pants and hair ribbons they wore before they started school - then maybe one for each school grade.
Can I get a little encouragement here? :shock:
I don't have a cat...but the dog would sleep on 'em if they're too bad!
Have a good day tomorrow!
Belle Thomas
Old 03-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Administrator

consider yourself encouraged. :-)

just one question, though: don't you already have a pile of scraps from previous projects?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:38 AM

I have read both threads and I am confused. The crazy quilts that I have seen in pictures and in museums, seem to be made of "fancy" fabrics and of course all the old ones were embellised with fine yarn or embroidery thread.

If I were going to make a crazy quilt, I would like to try to duplicate one from about 100 years ago, but not being able to do the handwork, I would want to use some machine stitches.,

Next problem I see, the machine stitches are going to be smaller than the hand embroidery. Thus, I would assume the pieces of fabric used should be in proportion to the size of the stitches. Am I correct in thinking this way?

And finally, would I use left-over scrap from today's quilts, 100% cotton, or do I use velvets, satin, etc? If the latter, how do you collect these fabrics? Would you buy new fabrics in the smallest amount possible, such as 1/4 yard or remnants? And if remnants, how long would it take to collect these pieces?

No, this is the final question, Am I going to live long enough??? to collect and then make this quilt? I love the one seen in BH&G's American Heritage Quilts, printed in 1991. They refer to this style as a Victorian Fancy, from the era of 1876-1900. Now I know they had 100% cotton then, but the other fabrics are so beautiful. Has anyone tried to duplcate this Heirloom quilt???

I have wanted to make one of these as an heirloom quilt but have been intimidated by the amount of different fabrics.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 AM

there were all kinds of crazy quilts, some were made to use up all the scraps, Here is a site with a block pattern and a guide to stitches or use your machine. Any thing goes in quilting, no right or wrong

http://www.nmia.com/~mgdesign/qor/styles/crazy/crzayqlt.htm this site shows crazy in a fancy way
http://inaminuteago.com/crazyquilting/buttonquilt/buttonboxgallery.html
Old 03-02-2007, 05:10 AM

Thank you, Ruth. I took a look and liked what I saw. I have put the link in my folder for future reference.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Key Word is CRAZY :wink:

NO RULES. no worries. no stress. and certainly no rush.

:mrgreen:
Old 03-02-2007, 07:54 AM

June, voice of experience here. If you want a traditional Victorian looking quilt, you will not be happy with the machine embroidery on it. Then it would not be traditional.
Use the scraps you have and play with different methods, machine embroidery and embellishments while you are collect the velvets, silks, etc. for the traditional. Then you will be better at making one, know if you like it, and have your fancy stash ready.
Ask for someone to trade fancy fabrics for what you have an abundance of on the new link for trading. You'll get some takers.
Just an old woman rambling on.....
Old 03-02-2007, 08:01 AM

No old women here, Norah! Just sweet little ole quilters!!!

I am just stepping in to agree that there are indeed no rules in quilting and especially in crazy quilts. I believe the Victorian ladies were using the crazy quilt to show off their fine stitches, am I right? I don't have any fine stitches so I shan't do a crazy quilt for at least another 20 years. :roll: Meanwhile I will enjoy everyone elses. Be sure to post those pictures everyone!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Yvonne
No old women here, Norah! Just sweet little ole quilters!!!

I am just stepping in to agree that there are indeed no rules in quilting and especially in crazy quilts. I believe the Victorian ladies were using the crazy quilt to show off their fine stitches, am I right? I don't have any fine stitches so I shan't do a crazy quilt for at least another 20 years. :roll: Meanwhile I will enjoy everyone elses. Be sure to post those pictures everyone!
"sweet"??? "little"??? ole, yeah I can agree and witht he quilters, but that sweet and little is a whole lotta out of my range at 5'8" and sweet is not a word my husband applies to me, especially when he wants food and I tell him "as soon as I finish this...block, sash, pinning, etc etc. lol lol

To the point of this post,
I have old scarves from my days in the '80s, dresses from the '70s, '80s, & '90s that are of that silky type fabrics. Lace from the wedding dress sewing days, and lots of fun threads for embroidery, I work a little when I'm bored with the current project and I allow my grands to cut odd size pieces for it. They are all wondering who's going to get it when it's done, but who really thinks I'll every BE done?? not me, unless I can get 8 quilts out of the piecing. lol lol

Sharon
Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 AM

Isn't *sweet* the image the world has of all quilters? I'm sure we're all sweet, just as long as no one interrupts our creative moods! :lol: