Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Canadians...... >
  • Canadians......

• Canadians......

Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 AM

I have an exchange with a person from Canada, what things related to quilting are hard to find/very expensive up there? I'm in the states and would love to get them something they can't get themselves.
    Old 10-14-2010, 03:45 AM

I have read on this board that fabric is very expensive and most online sites from the USA won't ship to them!
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 AM

Fabric in Canada is definately more expensive. Almost all fabric unless it is in the sale bin ($7-$9) regularly sells for $13.99 - $17.99 at my LQS. Fabric stores are also few and far between and a need for sewing supplies means at least an hour road trip for me. You can get almost any quilt related tools here but you will have to head to your LQS as most FabricLands (think Joannes)are going out of business and Walmarts no longer carry fabric. I regularly head to a Mennonite area about an hours drive from me that has several small home shops to buy quilting stuff and fabric there is a little cheaper ($5-$12) but they don't carry the most current lines or the more "modern stuff". Your quilting buddy in Canada I'm sure would be thrilled with any of the newest fabric line or tool because this all takes longer to be released here.
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 AM
    Power Poster

I would say fabric too. I have seen so many of the ladies saying its more expensive there! Plus, who can have too much fabric, lol?
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 AM

I'm in Eastern Canada. I find it difficult to get special rulers,starch,template plastic, freezer paper, even color catchers. I know these are available in some parts of Canada but not in my local area. I think fabric would be appreciated. A basic price for good fabric is $14/$15 meter. Walmart has closed out fabric departments and there are very few LQSs.
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 AM

I'm in PEI and I haven't yet found a store with a Color Catcher. And yes, most things are hard to find and pricey. My LQS has a rack of older (some REALLY old) fabric for $5.98 per metre and quilters come from as far as 100 miles away to buy it.
    I'm sure anything quilty will be greatly appreciated!
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Twilliebee, you live in a beautiful part of the world! I was fortunate enough to be able to visit PEI twice. I did run across one quilt shop in O'Leary, but never got to the eastern part of the island. Are there many more quilt/fabric shops there?
    Old 10-14-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Twilliebee, you live in a beautiful part of the world! I was fortunate enough to be able to visit PEI twice. I did run across one quilt shop in O'Leary, but never got to the eastern part of the island. Are there many more quilt/fabric shops there?
    Hi Nan,
    You visited my LQS! I'm another 20 miles west of O'Leary towards Tignish. I don't get to the eastern end of the Island often, but other than O'Leary there are only a couple of shops that I know of that try to cater to quilters.
    Unfortunately at the moment they are both in a state of flux management wise and seem to be dreadfully overpriced.
    There is also a Fabricville which I think would be like a Joann's.
    I think my biggest problem is that I'm such a fabric hog and I want a variety of everything. That makes we want to travel further afield to hunt down the fun stuff LOL.
    I'm glad you liked it here. If you come again, we'll plan a visit!
    Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM

I'd like to visit PEI again as well. When I was 9 we visited Green Gables and I purchased one of the 'Anne' books there. You live on a beautiful island!
    Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 AM

Thanks, Mom-6! I think I might be willing to trade winters with you though LOL!