Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SASE for Canadians? >

SASE for Canadians?

SASE for Canadians?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 AM

How does a Canadian send a SASE (self addresses stamped envelope)?

I love reading the classifieds sections in American magazines and it always asks for a SASE.

Also to order some quilt kits from American Magazine articles require a SASE as well.

Canada post does not have a SASE option.

Advice or suggestions please,

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM

I guess what you could do is ask how much it would cost to send a certain size envelope or whatever to Canada from the states.
Say it costs $1 US to send to Canada for a manila envelope with a pattern in it. Then you could recalculate that to Canadian money and go that way. That's the only thing I could think of, UNLESS...you can contact the company and ask them what the cost would be.....
Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 AM

I would just try to find an american friend who would be willing to send you some US stamps. Then you just put your own adress on the envelope, put a US stamp on it and put it in the envelope you are mailing it to. You may even be able to purchase some of the US stamps at WWW.USPS.COM. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Find a friend in the US and ask them to buy you some US stamps to send to you (financial arrangements are up to you and the friend). Then you can enclose a SASE with US postage on it when you answer the ads.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 AM

When a SASE is requested, you place an empty unsealed envelope (E - Envelope), addressed to yourself (SA - Self Addressed), with enough postage applied (S- Stamped) to it to reach it's way back to you and put this in the envelope sent along with your letter/request. The postage can be regular stamps applied to the envelope. It just has to be enough postage to reach back to you.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Hi Aully, I just contact the company or the person who posted and ask if they are willing to ship to Canada. If they are, they get either an estimate or the exact amount it will cost for shipping and let me know the amount, which I include in my payment. When I buy things that are 'shipping included' on the board, the seller charges me the additional amount it costs to ship to Canada over and above what they allocated for shipping in the US. Same thing with swaps. I contact the coordinator and either send postage under separate cover or include the cost of postage with my swap package. If you don't already have one, it's a good plan to open a PayPal account, because you can send money to anyone with an e-mail address whether they have PayPal or not. I send postage as a 'gift'now, which is easier and cheaper than any other way I've found. Any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.
Good luck and Happy Quilting!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 AM

I do have a Paypal account, I use it lots. lol! I do have USA stamps. The adds I read only have an address for them no other information. Can I just include the smae sized envelope with a stamp on it? Would I just put on a Canadian stamp?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 AM

I just found out we (Canadians) can open up a US bank account here and then send a cheque or money order from the bank. The money order can also be traced. This is a saving as I have been paying $5.50 to get a $10.00 money order at the post office. Hope this info helps
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I am confused, we use stamps for our SASE. You can't use any kind of metered mail because it has a date on it, and if the dates don't match up to the date being sent it sends up a red flag and the post office won't send it. So, I just assume you address your envelope and put USA stamps on it, but I could be waaaay off base.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 AM

You can't use Canadian stamps to mail from the US or US stamps to mail from Canada. If you have US postage you will still need to know how much extra it costs them to mail to Canada so you can put enough postage on the envelope you send, or you can expect to pay a charge for insufficient postage when and if it gets to you. I'd be seriously suspicious of ads with no additional information that you can cross-reference.