Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" Foot >

1/4" Foot

1/4" Foot

Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 AM

love my 1/4 ft with the guide. always has a staight seam. don't know how i survived for so long without it
Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
So someone see if they can answer this: I have a Baby Lok Quilter's Pro with a 1/4" foot, and the guide on the machine - of course they don't match each other so I said 'ahHA' i will use my Omnigrid and measure from the neeedle out to see which I should use - the foor or the guide - and it matched NEITHER. I moved the needle postion - still no luck!I grabbed a pattern with the 1/4 allowance marked and guess what? It didn't match either the foot OR the guide? So same as Jennie - I have had to do a lot of fudging over the years! SO - any ideas? Should I just commit to using one or the other as a measurement? The foot falls just short of the 1/4" and the guide falls to the outside! Which one?? ARRRRGGGGHHH..........
Maybe your foot is set for a scant 1/4 inch? I move my needle and check the seams by sewing a test strip whenever I start something new. Some fabrics are a little thicker, thread weight makes a difference, etc. Even the way you press may be a consideration. I find this is what has worked best for me.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 AM

See here is where I get confused. How do you know what is a 1/4"????? If I am doing a test strip, what am I measuring against? I always figured if the pattern called for a 1/4" seam and if I was consistent by using either the foot or the guide, I would be OK - but that totally doesn't work - I somehow always end up with seams that will not match! I am so glad someone brought this subject up - I have been dying to ask......
Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 AM

See here is where I get confused. How do you know what is a 1/4"????? If I am doing a test strip, what am I measuring against? I always figured if the pattern called for a 1/4" seam and if I was consistent by using either the foot or the guide, I would be OK - but that totally doesn't work - I somehow always end up with seams that will not match! I am so glad someone brought this subject up - I have been dying to ask......
Try this. Take two 1.5 inch squares. Make sure that they are cut precisely at 1.5 inches. Sew them together and press the seam to one side - carefully - so the finished unit does not get distorted. Then measure this unit (take away from your machine and measure with your best ruler). It should be 2.5 inches wide. If it is smaller, your seam is too big. Move your needle one position to the right and try again. If your finished unit is larger than 2.5", your seam is too small. Move the needle position one click to the left and try again.

When your finished unit is exactly 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches, make note of what needle setting it took to make it happen. Then use this setting all the time when you are piecing.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 AM

I have the 1/4 inch foot also and could not get along without it.

Good for you I know you will love it.
:P
Old 10-18-2010, 10:41 AM

The more seams you have in a block, the less likely they will match up in the end

i posted a video above, on getting your 1/4" seam.

you can use your tape measure to check it also.
i check mine every time i start my machine up....
Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM

May have already been mentioned but index card lines are printed at exactly 1/4 inch apart. You can use this to test to see if you are sewing an actual 1/4 inch.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
May have already been mentioned but index card lines are printed at exactly 1/4 inch apart. You can use this to test to see if you are sewing an actual 1/4 inch.
Good answer..i had forgotten about that..
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM

I too use the index card to check my 1/4" seam. Then if I need a scant, I just move my needle over.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM

What a cool idea!!!! Swiping my daughter's index cards (hahaha she won't miss one) and checking out the video. Loved the comment about 'more seams, less likely to match'.....is that why a quilter is a person who easily comes apart at the seams????? LOL!!!!!!!!