Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much yardage do you buy when..... >

How much yardage do you buy when.....

How much yardage do you buy when.....

Old 10-25-2010, 06:19 PM

As I read this post I'm remembering when my sister and I first started quilting seriously in the early 70's. Everything was "matchy-matchy" and we would not buy less than 10 yards of a fabric if we really liked it because the back had to match or at least coordinate with the front. Now I buy mostly fat quarters & even use them for backs on occassion. Only if I'm working with a particular pattern do I buy more than a yard or two. I just love the scrappy look!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Originally Posted by Berta48
Ok I am brand new to quilting. What is focus fabric? Is that the fabric that goes between the blockS?That is what I am thinking anyway?
Focus fabric is the fabric you build your quilt around. Then you pick other fabrics, lights and darks, to go with it in your blocks, and if you want to put strips of fabrics between the blocks that is called sashing.

Instructor for my first quilt class said to buy 3 yards of a fabric so you would have enough for a future quilt as the focus fabric and border. I try to get 3.5 in case of cutting mistakes and to have enough for binding.

Creams and off whites are what I use the most as lights or background fabrics, so if I find some I like on sale I try to buy at least 5 to 6 yards, enough for 2 quilts. May in Jersey
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean build the quilt around? If you make a block and put sashing what else is there?Besides the borders and binding and backing?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by np3
I will buy three yards of the "favorite" and 1-2 yards of the companion fabrics. I love collections.
That's what I generally do also. But, it's got to be a really great fabric or great deal for me to spend enough to buy 3 yards, cuz I tend to stick to name brand quilt fabrics, Moda, Debbie Mumm, etc., and love to have several different fabrics from the same line. Do the same with batiks - fat quarters or 1/2 yards, unless I'm planning a sashing, border or backing.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Ok I am brand new to quilting. What is focus fabric? Is that the fabric that goes between the blockS?That is what I am thinking anyway?
Focus fabric is the fabric you build your quilt around. Then you pick other fabrics, lights and darks, to go with it in your blocks, and if you want to put strips of fabrics between the blocks that is called sashing.

Instructor for my first quilt class said to buy 3 yards of a fabric so you would have enough for a future quilt as the focus fabric and border. I try to get 3.5 in case of cutting mistakes and to have enough for binding.

Creams and off whites are what I use the most as lights or background fabrics, so if I find some I like on sale I try to buy at least 5 to 6 yards, enough for 2 quilts. May in Jersey
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean build the quilt around? If you make a block and put sashing what else is there?Besides the borders and binding and backing?
Essentially, she is telling you that the "blocks" which you applique or use as background are your "focus fabric". Generally you want it to be a neutral color. I tend to use white on white. white on cream or white on light beige in my blocks. You want it to be neutral in order to bring out the color in your quilt, along with the sashing and borders. If you are doing piecing, then you don't need to worry about the blocks, but will probably need a focus fabric as a framework behind it. The quilt in my profile pic has a muslin focus fabric if that helps you.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by labbyrobinson

Essentially, she is telling you that the "blocks" which you applique or use as background are your "focus fabric". Generally you want it to be a neutral color. I tend to use white on white. white on cream or white on light beige in my blocks. You want it to be neutral in order to bring out the color in your quilt, along with the sashing and borders. If you are doing piecing, then you don't need to worry about the blocks, but will probably need a focus fabric as a framework behind it. The quilt in my profile pic has a muslin focus fabric if that helps you.
SO in other words the focus fabric is the fabric you make the blocks out of? I use white when I am doing embroidery on a wall hanging or table runner.I have yet to make a quilt or throw.I di just recieve my Christmas present in the mail today the Accuquilt Go.SO I am ready to start trying to make some quilts.

Thanks for the quick reply :thumbup:
Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 AM

If I can afford it I buy from 3to 5 meters otherwise I buy 2 meters. but if it is up to $24 a meter I only but 1/2.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM

I buy 3 yards. That way if a customer picks a 2-color quilt pattern, I will have enough to make the quilt. Or, you can cut it up the side for a pretty border. There are a lot of things you can do with 3 yards.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:37 PM

If I can fit it in my fabric budget I always buy 3 yards. The plans for the fabric aren't always clear, but if I love it then it is going home with me. Sure am glad my sewing room is downstairs 'cause I have been thinking about the lady whose stash made her floor cave in.