Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone out there with a megaquilter on a frame??? Help!! >

Anyone out there with a megaquilter on a frame??? Help!!

Anyone out there with a megaquilter on a frame??? Help!!

Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM

I am about ready to pull my hair out. I have been trying to get the thread tension correct when my machine is one the frame. I still have dots on the top of the quilt from the bobbin and now top thread also on the bottom and it looks like the stitches bad on the bottom. If anyone is out there who has this machine on a frame please try to help me. I am ready to throw it out.

I have the tried 30 wt, 40 wt and 50wt threads. Thread that cost 7.95 a spool called Superior and still no luck. :-(
Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 PM

I don't have your system, but it sounds like you have the quilt to tight. If you are getting big loops on the back that means something is wrong with the top thread. Usually large loops mean that you forgot to put the pressure foot down.

Keep us posted on what you figure out.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:36 PM
CRH

Tension problems can be very frustrating, can't they?? I hesitate to answer because I am not proficient in the use of my megaquilter. I also find that the tension adjustment is not an easy matter.

Please do not "throw the machine out" - they are really a simply built machine and should be "fixable" even if that means a trip to the shop to get the tension adjusted by an expert.

The dealer I consulted on thread usage told me this:

Match the bobbin and top threads as to size and type (cotton, polyester). Do not use dual duty thread, DMC, Tylon, or Trusew threads, this machine doesn't "like" them. However, I was told that cotton or polyester could be used. She said they used cotton Metrosene, and RA cotton. There was Gutterman polyester in the machine when I got it (I got it used.) and that worked well, but I prefer cotton. (I was told by my Bernina dealer NOT to use coats and clark thread in my Bernina or Pfaff machines, so haven't used it in this machine either.)

I've used only size 50 cotton on this machine and so far, it has done fairly well. Double check the bobbin thread is inserted correctly, and check that the top is threaded as in the instructions, it is so easy to get these not quite right. (make sure the thread isn't winding around the spindle, etc.)

Stitch length and speed also seem to vary the tension a little, so try to be consistent with these.

If the thread is being pulled to the top of the quilt, the tension is too tight, and can be loosened by turning the tension knob to the LEFT.

If the thread is pulled to the bottom of the quilt the tension is too loose, and can be tightened by turning the tension knob to the RIGHT.

(My tension knob has numbers on it, but turning it does not seem to change the indicator, so I can't really give you a number for the tension.) The tension may need to be varied with the thickness of the quilt sandwich.

I assume you have the presser foot lever down, as my machine will not start sewing with it in the up position.

The needle threads from left to right on this machine.

This reply is pretty long- winded, but tried to mention all the things I was told about this machine. They can be fun to use when everything is going well, but there are so many variables with these quilting machines. Wishing you luck!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I have been playing with the machine today for a couple hours. I have Superior Thread 50 wt in the bobbin and top as well. The best I came up with so far is the top is not too bad, I think I can still see tiny dots, but the dots on the back is now gone. So I think I have to live with the tiny dots on the top. I am going to put in the same color and I dont think it will be too noticeable. I was also wondering if the needle may be showing a tiny hole and I think it is a dot. I am using the correct needle HLX5 - Size 14. Any other thoughts?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 PM
CRH

Glad to hear things are going better. One of my books on machine quilting says: the best stitches are made when sewing forward. Perfect tension is difficult to maintain with free motion quilting because the direction changes frequently and affects stitch formation. "It is acceptable for small dots of thread to appear on the back side when using free motion quilting."

(Which tells me this is a common problem and difficult to avoid.)

Another thing they mention is to thread the machine with the presser foot RAISED. (This puts the tension disks in the correct position to accept the thread.)

You almost need a "take-off" check list to remember all these things!! :D :D

I am enjoying this machine most of the time. The narrow strip of quilting area is one drawback, but mine rolls smoothly, so fairly easy to follow the pantograph. I have been drawing my own patterns so far, usually adapting the quilting design stencils to continuous lines. I don't trust myself to do a lot of freehand quilting yet, except in small areas, but it is getting easier with practice.

I am hoping to whittle away at my pile of quilt tops, but have one or two that will probably still go to a professional quilter.

Good luck with your quilting!! Hope it gets easier and easier!!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 PM

It usually is because of tension problems or a blunt needle. If you hear a popping sound whilst it is sewing - change the needle. Also check the way you are putting the material into the hoop. It should not be stretched over the hoop, but it should be dipped into the hoop so that it is flat against the machine bed.