Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice bags >

Rice bags

Rice bags

Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 AM

I sometimes, after I heated mine, pour a few drops of lavender oil or even geranium oil on it. I use mine for sore mussels or a stiff neck and the oil scent is very calming and relaxing. Very nice for cold feet during the winter - most of you are preparing for winter now ...
Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 AM

Great tips on the rice bags. I have neck and shoulder problems, so I think I'll be making me some of these. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:53 AM

Yes it is safe as long as you don't put it in for really long lengths of time. I find they hold the heat better than plain cotton. Flannel is good and what I usually use with an outside case to be removed for washing. I have never used any scents in them and was wondering how you use the oils or cinnamon? Do you use just a stick and crush it or put it in whole?? or use the powder. could someone talk about these!!! :?: Jan
Old 11-18-2010, 11:06 AM

I use bird seed, the cheapest I can buy. I heat 2.5 min in microwave and take them to bed for my cold feet every night.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:53 AM

I have several, and used corn in them, but gave one to a friend that just put it in the linen closet and forgot it. When her DH had a bad back, she heated it up and had bugs. I do suggest you heat them at least monthly if you use corn or cracked corn. We all thought it was very funny
Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
I have several, and used corn in them, but gave one to a friend that just put it in the linen closet and forgot it. When her DH had a bad back, she heated it up and had bugs. I do suggest you heat them at least monthly if you use corn or cracked corn. We all thought it was very funny
When I first started to read this, I thought you were going to say a mouse got into it!!! That's what happened to one we left at your summer lake house over the winter!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Years ago Martha Stewart had instructions for making a rice bag using a knee sock. She said to heat it for two minutes, but if you use a sock with nylon in it, be careful! Nylon melts. I used cotton fabric and made long tubes, instead of using socks. This wasn't for keeping plates warm, though, but for putting across your shoulders to alleviate stiffness and/or pain. It really works, but just heat for 1 minute. It stays warm for quite a long time and feels so good. Also good for cold feet, instead of a hot water bottle that can leak.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:24 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by deedum
lavendar buds, what and where do I get these? Does it make everything smell better than rice?
If you will google "bulk lavendar buds" you'll find many resources for purchasing them. Just keep in mind that they do not weigh much and 1 lb. goes a l-o-n-g way!

I've used them for years mixed with a little cedar shavings, and maybe other things like lemon peel, broken cinnamon stick, peppermint, rosemary, whole cloves. These I mix and place in little muslin "tea bags" which I also purchased years ago from Whole Foods Market for about $.20 a piece (so much easier than sewing the little things for me!)

A bag goes into every box that stores my fabric, scraps, strips, waiting projects; even stuffed between the stacks of fabrics on shelves. Also in my sweaters and out of season clothing boxes. Very rarely do I get a musty smell with old fabric.

Jan in VA
Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by deedum
lavendar buds, what and where do I get these? Does it make everything smell better than rice?
If you will google "bulk lavendar buds" you'll find many resources for purchasing them. Just keep in mind that they do not weigh much and 1 lb. goes a l-o-n-g way!

I've used them for years mixed with a little cedar shavings, and maybe other things like lemon peel, broken cinnamon stick, peppermint, rosemary, whole cloves. These I mix and place in little muslin "tea bags" which I also purchased years ago from Whole Foods Market for about $.20 a piece (so much easier than sewing the little things for me!)

A bag goes into every box that stores my fabric, scraps, strips, waiting projects; even stuffed between the stacks of fabrics on shelves. Also in my sweaters and out of season clothing boxes. Very rarely do I get a musty smell with old fabric.

Jan in VA

Great idea.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I have used both corn and rice here. Usually use flannel, because its so cozy and cuddly anyhow,and I always have scraps.