Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice bags >

Rice bags

Rice bags

Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Margie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Murrysville, PA
Posts: 3,007
Default

I have never made the rice bags(heated in microwave) used to keep foods hot to take along .
Do you just use cotton fabric and fill with dry rice?

I am wondering if you could make them to fit under dishes when you serve buffet style so the food will stay hot?

Has anyone made them?? If so, how long do you heat them up in microwave??

Lots of questions here :)
Margie is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 10:52 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
luvTooQuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
Posts: 6,664
Default

Originally Posted by Margie
I have never made the rice bags(heated in microwave) used to keep foods hot to take along .
Do you just use cotton fabric and fill with dry rice?

I am wondering if you could make them to fit under dishes when you serve buffet style so the food will stay hot?

Has anyone made them?? If so, how long do you heat them up in microwave??

Lots of questions here :)
my MIL mad them with heavy-er weight cotton fabric.. Duck fabric?? not sure what its called but she made them in all different sizes and shapes.. they were/are awesome.. I think we heated them for 30 seconds..Didn't take long at all to heat up..
luvTooQuilt is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
VickyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: in hiding
Posts: 534
Default

I use cotton flannel and fill with dry rice - but any material you aren't afraid to put in the microwave would probably work..

I usually make them about 6" by 18" - big enough to go around my shoulders or waist to help an achy neck or back.

I make a maze type of pattern in stitching it so the rice doesn't all lump together, but remains fairly evenly distributed.

Time to heat in the microwave: 2 minutes - lasts between 20 - 40 minutes, depending on how cool you can stand it.

2 minutes gets it too hot to handle, but it quickly cools down to reasonable. Sometimes I have to wrap it in a towel or use potholders when it first comes out of the microwave.

After the 19th of this month, I can probably put a tutorial together on this, since it isn't that hard to do.

I've made lots of them, and my kids and friends keep taking them. They can not be washed. You can keep on using it until you get a burnt toast smell out of the rice. It is normal to have a nutty smell when it comes out of the microwave. Very soothing.
VickyS is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
roda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Okla
Posts: 496
Default

i've used them on little critters when they've got chilled in winter
roda is offline  
Old 11-16-2010, 01:38 AM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
amma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out searching for some sunshine :-)
Posts: 58,857
Default

I made mine out of flannel and used cotton thread. You don't want to use anything but cotton to make these.
Depending on how much rice you use, will determine how long they will stay hot.
You may want to consider making a sleeve to slip them into, so that if there is a spill you are able to wash it.
They won't keep a dish hot like a chafing dish will, but they do help to keep it warm. I have used them packed around a casserole dish while traveling to a dinner :D:D:D
amma is offline  
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
plainpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 3,838
Default

Lots of rice bag info on this thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....ce+bags&u=&s=0
plainpat is offline  
Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Posts: 8,541
Default

I used to make these for my birthing clients for use on thelower back hip joints in labor. Flannel, cheapest rice, a tiny bit of lavendar buds, about 6"x12." They were huggable, warm, a back bracing pillow when side-lying, fit under a neck, or propped an arm when nursing. The moms all loved them.

Jan in VA
Jan in VA is offline  
Old 11-16-2010, 04:39 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Short an Sweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alvin, Texas
Posts: 1,841
Default

I would love to see a tute on these!!!
Originally Posted by VickyS
I use cotton flannel and fill with dry rice - but any material you aren't afraid to put in the microwave would probably work..

I usually make them about 6" by 18" - big enough to go around my shoulders or waist to help an achy neck or back.

I make a maze type of pattern in stitching it so the rice doesn't all lump together, but remains fairly evenly distributed.

Time to heat in the microwave: 2 minutes - lasts between 20 - 40 minutes, depending on how cool you can stand it.

2 minutes gets it too hot to handle, but it quickly cools down to reasonable. Sometimes I have to wrap it in a towel or use potholders when it first comes out of the microwave.

After the 19th of this month, I can probably put a tutorial together on this, since it isn't that hard to do.

I've made lots of them, and my kids and friends keep taking them. They can not be washed. You can keep on using it until you get a burnt toast smell out of the rice. It is normal to have a nutty smell when it comes out of the microwave. Very soothing.
Short an Sweet is offline  
Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,991
Default

Since I live on a farm and we grow wheat, oats and barley, I use home grown grains instead of rice. Wheat holds the heat a little longer as it is a denser kernel than oats or barley. All give a nutty or porridge smell when heated. I make a outer bag (mini pillow case) to slip the grain bag into. This way, I can wash the outer bag if needed.
Shelbie is offline  
Old 11-16-2010, 04:47 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Short an Sweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alvin, Texas
Posts: 1,841
Default

I like the idea of the wheat but I'm not sure where to find it?
Originally Posted by Shelbie
Since I live on a farm and we grow wheat, oats and barley, I use home grown grains instead of rice. Wheat holds the heat a little longer as it is a denser kernel than oats or barley. All give a nutty or porridge smell when heated. I make a outer bag (mini pillow case) to slip the grain bag into. This way, I can wash the outer bag if needed.
Short an Sweet is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
PaperPrincess
Links and Resources
22
10-29-2013 05:53 PM
vivsqt
Main
3
01-29-2011 07:47 PM
bunniequilter
Links and Resources
10
10-06-2010 06:35 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.