Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff "Creative Fabric Mover and Stitch Regulator" >

Pfaff "Creative Fabric Mover and Stitch Regulator"

Pfaff "Creative Fabric Mover and Stitch Regulator"

Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 PM

I was at a quilt guild meeting last night. Three of us at the same table bought the Pfaff 2058 sewing machine and also purchased the add-on "Creative Fabric Mover and Stitch Regulator" several years ago. And to my pleasant surprise, none of us enjoy using the "Creative Fabric Mover and Stitch Regulator"! Up until that time I thought it was just me, I spent good money on it so I'd better use it and enjoy it (self talk).!!! The reason I was pleasantly surprised was because they had the same complaints: too restrictive of a sewing area, too time consuming to set up... and mine has had a forward/backward sensor issue almost since day one. It was even replaced under warranty once and still has the same problem (long stitches in the forward/backward motion).

Consequently, I've been mainly doing stitch in the ditch quilit instead of all the above hassles. I've decided to pretend like I don't even own the thing and start meandering and other free motion quilting without the darn thing!!!

Does anyone else out there own one of these things? What do you think about it?

"Creative Fabric Mover and Stitch Regulator"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129564[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-129559.gif  
Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Is that a Pfaff accessory or something that can be used on a Pfaff machine? I'm fairly new to quilting but an staunch Pfaff owner (bought my first one in 1991). I've been hearing people talk about stitch regulators but never really knew what they were.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Is that a Pfaff accessory or something that can be used on a Pfaff machine? I'm fairly new to quilting but an staunch Pfaff owner (bought my first one in 1991). I've been hearing people talk about stitch regulators but never really knew what they were.

It was an accessory I bought at the same time that I bought my Pfaff sewing machine. A stitch regulator regulates the size of your stitch when doing free motion quilting. If you are new to quilting, maybe you haven't tried it yet. It is when you drop the feed-dog, put on a darning foot then meander or follow a pattern to quilt your layers together. Somebody else might want to jump in here and help me with the explanation.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 PM

I've been doing free motion embroidery for years. I never liked the darning feet that came with the machine. I bought one with a large opening and I like it better. I've been known to work without a foot on at all. :roll: Leave it to me to be the "rebel". I guess I'll watch and learn about this thing. I guess until I get into this part of the quilting gig I'm the "regulator". Hmm... I think I may have to try that on the family. Do you think it would help me win arguements?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM

I've been doing free motion embroidery for years. I never liked the darning feet that came with the machine. I bought one with a large opening and I like it better. I've been known to work without a foot on at all. :roll: Leave it to me to be the "rebel". I guess I'll watch and learn about this thing. I guess until I get into this part of the quilting gig I'm the "regulator". Hmm... I think I may have to try that on the family. Do you think it would help me win arguements?
Yep, from now on I'm going to be the regulator too. It's funny, since I spent a lot of money on the thing, I felt like I had to use it. After talking to the ladies last night and realizing that none of them use theirs, I felt free! Crazy thinking I know.

Let me know how that works with your family = )
Old 11-19-2010, 02:39 PM

BTW, if you've been doing free motion embroidery for years, the FMQ should come easy for you!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:29 PM

I like mine for small projects and for writing on quilts.
The small space does have its drawbacks. I have serious arthritis and I can use it easier. Have never tried it on large projects.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by trish b
I like mine for small projects and for writing on quilts.
The small space does have its drawbacks. I have serious arthritis and I can use it easier. Have never tried it on large projects.
I'll have to remember that. I won't totally get rid of it! I did do a baby quilt this summer, and I quilted the words: "sleep", "dream", "sweet", "baby" and "grace" - which is the baby's last name. It did work well for that. I'll be more selective about using it. I had been trying to do complete quilts with it and ended up frustrated. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:39 PM

yes I got mine when they first came out, paid a bundle for it too,($1100.) and I have not gotten the hang of it, I'd like to sell mine. I just can not get the hang of FMQ at all, so I am not going to worry about what I can not do and just work on and hope to improve what I can do.

and so my answer is yes I have one, NO I do not use it.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:39 AM

I have the Bernina 440QE with the stitch regulator and I love love it but I am not confined to a small area so do large quilts and thread play with it have taken some classes from Libby Lehman so thread play is really fun works all on hand motion no foot pedal needed