Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Three Generation Legacy Quilt >

Three Generation Legacy Quilt

Three Generation Legacy Quilt

Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Before you take a look at the picture let me tell you a story about this quilt. I am calling this a Legacy Three Generation quilt for a reason. You see, DH's grandmother is getting on in age, her left leg was recently removed because of her sugar. She is rather elderly and only the lord knows how many more days she has left. She has had to leave her home for more intensive care and naturally the family is cleaning out her home. In her closet was a series of quilt toppers that were never quilted and she stated that they were to come to us because she knew that they would be finished if they were to come here.

DH has some evil cousins, I suppose a lot of families have those kind of folks in a time like this, but they knew they were there and did not want us to have them, or anything else for that matter. They left this one ugly duckling, to them it was just not the same prettiness and quality of the others. This ugly duckling was the first ever quilt topper that the grand mother pieced together, and I might mention too, it was all done by hand.

The little ugly duckling was the only one that made it to my house and it sat here for a couple of weeks waiting its turn on the quilting frame. I pressed it as best I could, it had many bubbles so to say in it. I loaded it on the frame and made sure that both DH and SS put their quilting mark on it as well. Now, neither of them have ever tried to use my frame so lets say theire stitches just helped compliment the treasure even more.

You see, when I am quilting, the finisehd work rolls onto a rail and you do not really see your prgress, so you never REALLY know what you have until it comes off that frame. Well each person made their mark on this quilt and we started to roll it off the frame after two days of working on it. Something magial happened on that frame. Now it makes me wish we had before pictures, but its too late for that now. But something happened and when that ugly duckling rolled off that frame, it was the most beautiful swan to be seen! After I had it binded I used my embroidery machine and embroidered each persons name who had worked on the quilt and the town we wach live in. Those names are on each corner of the quilt in a light pink, not bright enough to be SEEN from a distance, but nice enough to look and find et another treasure. Here is the end results of our ugly duckling turned swan......... http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v397/mstweety/Me%20Maws%20Quilt/

We might have been given the one no one else wanted, but I assue you, we have the most beautiful one of all.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 PM

I can't get it to load. Just takes me to Photobucket home page.
I really want to see!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 PM

Yes, me too, i really want to see it too, it's a wonderful story!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 PM

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v397/mstweety/Me%20Maws%20Quilt/

Give this link a try....
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 PM

OMG!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 PM

She will be so proud to see this, or at least hear about how beautifully it turned out!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:05 AM

Oh my gosh, my head needs to straighten out lol, i saw the photos an hour ago, and forgot to post back! That is one absolutely awesome quilt. I see exactly what you mean, they may have thought they took the best, but they really left the best for last. What is so awesome, is that you ended up with the very first quilt she ever made, and that you were each able to work on it too, that is sooooo special :)
Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 AM

WOW.. that is a fabulous story and and beautiful quilt!

She is going to be so heart struck when she sees it!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:32 AM

I just love it and yes it is a swan. Beautiful job everyone.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:18 AM

What a beautiful story--you should type it up with the photo and send it in to a quilting magazine. I just love happy endings.