Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you do for a living? >

What do you do for a living?

What do you do for a living?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Retired 5 years ago.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Years ago, I was a vet tech, then our first was born (he's 25) and I became a stay at home mom. IMO, we've been lucky, my husband's job allowed me to stay one, but now I guess I'm a stay at home wife
Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MrsMoe4487
I'm a Certified Veterinary Technician :) Love what I do..most days at least. I work for a small clinic in town working with dogs and cats. Love the ladies I work with though...couldn't ask for better people!
Hi!
I'm going to tell you something, that maybe you already know , (yay!) but just in case you don't (and I think it's important enough to bring it up)
Your clinic may never see a basenji, but there are a lot in Minn.
If a basenji is brought in, and after a simple test is found to have glucose in its urine, do not assume, with no further testing, that it's diabetes. It may be fanconi, which is only determined by a blood gas test. If treated for diabetes, and it in fact has fanconi, that is probably one of the worst things that can be done.
I won't go into specifics, but knowing this may perhaps get a dog started on the proper treatment. Basenjis are known to have diabetes, but it's estimated at least 20% of them have fanconi
I'm sorry for barging in, but we here of so many vets that do the wrong thing, I just thought it was worth it to bring it to your attention

Happy Quilting!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 PM

I retired 18 months ago from a very large non-profit. I held many different positions in my career--from IT Project Manager, Human Resources Officer and Executive Director among others. I miss the people but don't miss the stress and being on call 24/7. I've just finished renovating my fifth house. I discovered this week that I have completed 11 quilt tops since I retired so I'm working on my machine quilting skills. I keep toying with the idea of going back to work part time so I don't drive my DH totally nuts but my sewing studio beckons me every day.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Retired Navy. Certified Master Locksmith. Drove the big rigs OTR for a few years. Now I drive big rigs locally for FedEx.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:42 PM

I sell nuts and bolts. I wish they were bolts of fabric, but alas, they are all made of metal. Its a crap job thay pays well, but it will do me until retirement, about 10 years away.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Enjoy working as a paralegal most of the time, but long to be spending time with the DGKs or quilting somedays at work.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 PM

I have been an RN for 30 years and work in both a level I and level II newborn nursery-I get to watch babies be born all day. Most do well-I get to help those little ones that need a little assistance. Its a great job helping new Moms/Dad learn how to care for their new babies and our future.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 PM

Wow - there are a lot of nurses who are into quilting! I chalk that up to being a deep seated connection between healing and the comfort that quilts bring to sick folks - another form of healing.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
Wow - there are a lot of nurses who are into quilting! I chalk that up to being a deep seated connection between healing and the comfort that quilts bring to sick folks - another form of healing.
Yes. And I also think nursing and quilting both combine sentimentality, logic, practicality, and technical skills.