Books - audio or reading

Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 AM

As a lot of you know, I listen to a book while I am sewing. (Unless I am measuring or counting - then I put it on pause). I am "reading" an excellent book right now. It has eight discs - each disc being about an hour.

The name of the book is "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron. For all of you dog lovers and/or cat lovers, you will love this book. It portrays every emotion you have in your body, yet it is warm and encompassing.

Every time I listen to a bit of the book, I have to stop and go and hug Bess (avatar).

Also another book is "The Art of Racing in the Rain". The only hint I will give you about both of these books is that they are the dog's view on everything. It is the dog speaking, so to speak!!

I have learned a lot from these two books and both of them are a warm fuzzy!!!!!

Enjoy! Edie
Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Thanks! What a great idea, listening while you sew. Sometimes TV is too distracting for me! They sound like really good books too!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 AM

"The Art of Racing in the Rain"
I have listened to this one, I loved it because of how the whole story was told by the dog and I thought the reader of this audio book did an excellent job. Boy did I cry at the end. I agree an excellent book, I am going to check out the online library and see if they have this other one you talked about.
Rae
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 AM

I love reading books. Usually manage to read at least one a week sometimes more. That and this board keep me away from what I really should be doing especially now with presents needing to be made. Never thought about audio books. Sounds like a good idea since there is never anything good on t.v. Still have no desire for a Kindle. Like to have a book in hand.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:28 AM

I have gotten so much more done with audio books, I was buying downloads and then discovered local libraries have FREE online downloads. They even have the newest best sellers if you are into them,you just join a waiting list for popular titles. I never have trouble choosing from over 10,000 titles lol. You just download them and then play them from your computer or transfer to you mp3 player or Ipod.I like putting them on a portable player like an mp3 or Ipod then I can listen with headphones and am not distracted by others in the house playing vidieo games or the TV.I Thought I would share this online library thing , I was spending money I didn't need to on audio books till I found this out. And they are open 24/7!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 AM

I have listened to audio books for many years. When we took long road trips I always have a couple to listen to. It makes the trip go faster. I also listen while in my sewing room, I get them from the library and e-book library. I can't work without them. It's too quiet. Now that I have a Walkman, I don't have to worry about bothering anyone else.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Edie, that book sounds great! I also love audiobooks. I listen to them a lot, makes doing housework seem like nothing, listen in the car, sewing, etc. Love them!
Thanks for the title. :D
Rae, thanks for another title!!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 AM

The Art of Racing in the Rain was a good one! I also listen to books on tape while I'm sewing!! :D :D :D
Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 AM

OMG that book .. " A dogs purpose' will make you CRY! I loved that book. I do both, listen to books and read ...
I do the audio in the car on my way to and from work, I had gotten so sick of listening to the same songs every day, or worse yet. listening to the dj's talk! I picked up ' Room' on CD, it's pretty good, king of creepy to hear it narrated in a childs voice at first... I'm now listening to ' Tenderness of Wolves' by Seth , Steph..(?) Penn... a mystery set back in the late 1800's in Canada.. At home I'm reading a Stephen King,book 'Dreamcatcher". It's starting to get creepy.... yea!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 AM

Another thing, you can check with your library. Our library sells some for 50 cents. I have such a slew of books, cd's and tapes.

Check on narrators also. George Guidall is really good - he can speak in accents. You can recognize characters in the book, from the way he talks. There are so many good books to listen to out there. Edie