Hiya

Old 03-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm fairly new to quilting (I've technically only made one quilt) so I'm still learning new things and some things are somewhat frustrating right now (rotary cutting is a nightmare!) But after making that one quilt (which turned out pretty good considering it was a 'learn as I go' sort of thing) I found that I really like quilting even if some parts of it drive me crazy at times.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Boo

Welcome, you sure picked a great forum for learning from those who have been where you are now. This is the most sharing group you will ever find and all skill levels are included. Do not hesitate to ask for help, as quilting should be fun, not a chore. :lol:
Old 03-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Hi and welcome to the site. I am new also. I see that you are from Wisconsin. Where in Wi. I am from Marinette on the Mi border. I find out so much information here it is unbelievable
Barb
Old 03-25-2007, 05:35 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am also very new to this forum and already love it. I think you will really enjoy this forum. Everyone here offers so much help and is so supportive and doesn't hesitate to offer ideas. :)
Old 03-25-2007, 05:37 PM
PJ

Welcom,
I too have had nightmares with the rotary cutter. One of the other gals told me to measure twice and cut once.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Barb V
Hi and welcome to the site. I am new also. I see that you are from Wisconsin. Where in Wi. I am from Marinette on the Mi border. I find out so much information here it is unbelievable
Barb
Black River Falls, WI...its about two hours from Rochester, MI

Originally Posted by PJ
Welcom,
I too have had nightmares with the rotary cutter. One of the other gals told me to measure twice and cut once.
LoL. I'll measure like five times and cut once...and accidently cut where I'm not supposed to. That's why I stick with scissors.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 PM

Are there any adult ed quilting classes in your area? Or a quilt shop that has a rotary cutting class? Once you "get" rotary cutting, you'll never go back! In fact, I'm not even quite sure where my good scissors are, I haven't used them in so long! LOL :lol:
I even took one of my old rotary cutters, a cheapie ruler I don't really like for fabric measuring & an old cutting mat to work for when I want to trim paper for whatever reason....
And the more you use it, the easier it gets - honest!
sue
Old 03-27-2007, 02:46 AM

Goddess, I too had trouble with rotary cutting til I found a see thru 12 x 12 SHAPE CUT by June Tailor. It has slits every 1/2 inch. You place your cutter in the groove and push it through. It keeps your cutting right on track. I love mine.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
Are there any adult ed quilting classes in your area? Or a quilt shop that has a rotary cutting class? Once you "get" rotary cutting, you'll never go back! In fact, I'm not even quite sure where my good scissors are, I haven't used them in so long! LOL :lol:
I even took one of my old rotary cutters, a cheapie ruler I don't really like for fabric measuring & an old cutting mat to work for when I want to trim paper for whatever reason....
And the more you use it, the easier it gets - honest!
sue
I don't think there's anything like that in the area. The closest place (that I know of ) that sells fabric or specializes in quilting supplies is an hour away from here. So if there's a quilting class of some sort it'd probably be there. But I could be wrong. I'll keep my eye out for it.