Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elna insights?  Modern Elnas, Elna 740 eXellence, brand in general? >

Elna insights? Modern Elnas, Elna 740 eXellence, brand in general?

Elna insights? Modern Elnas, Elna 740 eXellence, brand in general?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 PM

So Janome makes Elna, right? Anyone have/use/see the Elna 740 eXellence? Looks like a Horizon. Anyone have recent experience or knowledge about this brand or its newer machines? I have a barely used Elna 686 serger from 2007, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I don't serge much. Forgive me for cross posting on QB and PR, but I'm suffering a severe curiosity attack.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 PM

Wow, that does look like the Horizon. From what I understand, Janome does NOT make Elna, but both are made from parts from the same company. Clear as mud? Elnas are good machines. I'd be curious what the price comparison is between this one and the Horizon. Maybe I'm wrong and someone can correct me.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM

As far as I know, Elna is still made in Switzerland and Janome is an American company. I can only address the brand in general. My go to machine is a 1973 Elna Supermatic. I have no desire to sew on anything else, though I would like to try a new Elna just for fun.
The machine has done everything it's been asked to do from silk organza and beaded lace wedding dresses to leather, and done it well.
I have two compliants 1) the feed doesn't drop for quilting and 2) it sews such a perfectly balanced seam it's a b**ch to take out when there's an error. It's nice that it sews so well, but you try not to make too many errors.
I assume the company is still making a reliable product. As you can see, Elna is my company of choice.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:28 AM

I have been to several dealers and both told me they were the same...only difference is the name.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I have been to several dealers and both told me they were the same...only difference is the name.

They're not the same. Different companies. But, like I said they use the same parts so look the same. Preference being key, I 'd say I'd go with the Horizon as I love the red and have a Janome I love;>
Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Hehe, if it came down to color, I dislike red and would go with blue, that's why I want to know which will really be the better machine, most reliable, best stitch quality, least break downs and hassles, etc. Will the Elna 740 have overcome the few problems seen in the Horizon? Or will it be subject to that "first model syndrome" all over again? Price w/i a few hundred dollars less important. Have seemingly good dealers for each about the same distance away. I'm following the Horizon yahoo group but also solicting opinions from owners if these machines whenever I can. Janome seems to have great machines for great value and high customer loyalty, but I hear less from owners of current and recent Elna models. I hesitate to rely on impressions or satisfaction with any brand (except Bernina) from more than 5 years ago since so many brands are in flux. I have time on this, my recent huge upgrade to a Babylock Quest Plus ought to keep me sewing and growing for a while. But that 11" harp...<drooooool>... And I want auto cut! Thx everyone for info, keep it coming!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 AM

I recently purchased a new "Elna" in the $700 range. It has a good choice of stitches. Very pleased with it. I have only had it for 7 months.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Maia, since both Elna and Janome have the same manufacturing specs on their machines I would imagine this one would have the same issues as the Horizon. The only problem I've heard is that the Horizon doesn't like "thickness" of fabric. But that a new foot had been sent out to correct this problem. Other than that, I've not heard of any other problems? One way to test this would be to bring some denim or quilt sandwiches and test out the Elna. And make sure a new foot will come with it.

You will get basically the same machine as the Horizon-with all its pluses and minuses.

There are quite a few computer clones that are manufactured this way too. IN the same facility/factory line. The same basic machine, but a few customized options to be resold by different companies under different brand names. Same components, same design, same reliability or not:>
Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 AM

Thx MaRanda. Happy for 7 mos. sounds positive.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 AM

In June I bought an Elna 7300 and I LOVE her!! I waited for the Horizon to come out and was really not that impressed with the machine you were getting for the high price tag, so, I waited and looked a bit more. Went to a big quilt show and tried several different machines and settled on the Elna 7300. I am in LOVE with the dual feed foot ( attached walking foot ), the 15 or so diferent feet that are included, the quilting table that is included and so very much more. I bought it from a dealer and paid just at $1000.00. I still use my Brother 1500 to free motion quilt with but the throat ( harp ) area is just about the same on the 2 machines....I just like simplicity of my Brother.

jodi in leavenworth