Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
should I take the chance to put my quilts in an art show? >

should I take the chance to put my quilts in an art show?

should I take the chance to put my quilts in an art show?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 PM

You should read every single line of that contract. Here we mostly have county fairs and I've sent some to Georgia to my daughter to take to the county fair there. Be prepared for judges to be very nit picky about the quilts. They will go over every inch of your quilt. But do not let that stop you.I havn't won one yet,but out of those shows I have gotten a lot of quilt orders from people who saw my work and liked it.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Go for it. you would hate yourself for not trying. some one is bound to like your work, may not like that particular piece, but is impressed with your work. I see that all the time, just on posting pics of my work here.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Its wonderful all the positive thoughts you ladies are sending my way. I am going to enter after I check out the gallery and contract. It will be my second attempt to be in a show the last one I was in I won Judges Choice it was a wonderful feeling that made me continue working on art quilts. Thankyou so much.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:32 PM

I think it's worth trying. Though if you're the type of person who really can't handle rejection, you may not want to. I entered a quilt in our Guild Show 2 years ago, and I was so excited since I had worked so hard on it, and I wanted to win the ribbon they give to new quilters that the guild votes on, and I knew I was going to win... well, I didn't win, and my quilt judge was absolutely horrible - she said everything was fair except for my points which were poor and I spent FOREVER matching up the points with the 3 pin method and they were pretty darn good if I do say so myself! I was so discouraged I came close to quitting quilting. It took awhile to recover, but once I did, I said I wouldn't do competitive type stuff like that since I can't handle rejection/non winning very well. I would still say try it, but be careful about getting too obsessed with having your quilt for sale, ya know?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM

DO IT! You'll be so proud of yourself. It's your "ART"
Old 12-16-2010, 04:36 AM

Find out all the details and if you have followed all the rules -GO FOR IT!!! Nothing ventured nothing gained.
My DS#2 told me to do that with my first book proposal, he said, "whats the worst thing that can happen? You get turned down, they can't take your birthday"!!!! That's his crazy sense of humor, that saying is now a family tradition. By all means try and I hope you find work soon.
Oh, I'd also check out the gallery with the BBB. Lots of scams out there now days.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 AM

Give it a go...I entered my local competition this year didn't win anything or sell anything but it was a good experience because I now know what the level of skill is. It becomes a talking point and I learn from others in preparation for the next challenge, which if I can complete my 'masterpiece, will be next June.So, give it a go!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 AM

Just make sure you can actually see the gallery in person.
I got a scam letter once from a "shop" several states away, that wanted me to send some of my quilts to sell in their "shop". Being a very suspicious person, I called the PO in their town (their return address did not sound like a business). It was a small town, postmaster said there was no such shop.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:48 AM

BEWARE of scams
Old 12-16-2010, 04:56 AM

nothing ventured nothing gained- good luck