Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row Robin 2011--Cloud 9 Quilters **Group 9** >

Row Robin 2011--Cloud 9 Quilters **Group 9**

Row Robin 2011--Cloud 9 Quilters **Group 9**

Old 12-24-2010, 06:20 AM

Hi ladies! Welcome to group 9! This is my first time being a group leader, so make it easy for me ok? :) Here is our group: me, bemoreonline, candiquilts, wanabquilter and robertap. :) :)

What should we call ourselves?

Here is the list of the themes of your quilts:

Chrys: Christmas
bemoreonline: autumn leaves
candiquilts:vintage love and romance
wanabquilter: night before Christmas
Robertap: civil war

I'm excited to start this! This is my first row robin to do. When you start having pictures post it here! :) :)

Edited to add the directions for the Row Robin.....

Row Robin 2011

Overview:
This row robin is meant to be a fun, social and learning experience. There is no skill level requirement, only to do the best work that you can. If you have concerns about what to add at any point, feel free to ask for help from others in your group, the host of the RR, other sewing friends, or even the owner of the center. Remember…this is FUN!

Rules:
1. Fabric should be prewashed and of a type that you would be happy to receive yourself. This means 100% cotton but but does NOT need to be LQS.

Please remember that each top will circulate through many sets of hands and equipment as it travels the world. There may be a variety of techniques used as well. it's best to select fabrics that will hold up well under a variety of conditions and that can withstand repeated machine washing. Fabrics you can see through, that appear to fray easily, or that are loosely woven are not the best candidates for a shared project.

2. Use any techniques in which you feel comfortable, machine/hand piecing, machine/hand appliqué, machine/hand embroidery, paper piecing, etc. This in not particularly the time to experiment with new techniques unless you are confident that you can pull it off. You might want to experiment before attaching the row to the quilt in case you have to rework something.

3. Each row will be 12 ½” by 60 ½”

4. We will be posting pictures with each round, unless you specify that you do not want to see your quilt until it is finished. For most of us…we just can’t wait.

5. Please stay on target for the mailing dates. You will have approximately 2 months between mailings. If something happens that will cause you to be late mailing, please email the person who you will be mailing to and the leader of the group. Specific mailing dates will be sent out with the group assignments.

6. You will need to insure your packages when mailing.

7. Please, ONLY sign up if you are serious! We understand that life does and can get in the way, but if you KNOW you cannot fulfill your end, PLEASE do not sign up.

8. These rules apply to EVERYONE!

The Quilt:

The theme is a design of your choice. You need to make the first row 60 ½” by 12 ½” but you can orient it either horizontal or vertical. (Each row should be carefully measured and squared)
Each sequential row should be a continuation of the theme of the first row but can be what technique you would like.

Add a Label
We suggest that you add some type of label to circulate with your top so that all the members of your group can sign it. Please use a Black Pigma pen or some type of black permanent fabric marker. You might want to leave enough room for everyone to list their name along with their board name, their city, state, country, and the date.
If you don't want to do a label for people to sign because you haven't figured out what you want the label to look like, that is fine too...just add a piece of paper that people can sign.

Graciously accept your finished quilt

Sometimes the final quilt owner will want to add more embellishments or add an additional border, but everyone who worked on your quilt used their best abilities. After the Row Robin has closed, of course it is your quilt to do whatever you choose. We will all look forward to seeing the quilted final product! Please do not post pictures that show alterations or changes in someone else’s work though. Please be conscious of other feelings. If this isn’t acceptable to you, please DO NOT play.

Tips and Lessons Learned:

1. Print off the rules, mailing dates and your group mailing list.
You will be referring back to it.

2 Don’t panic…hang the top for a few days and let it speak to you. They tend to “tell you what they need next”.

3. If you are trying something new….do it on the separate row, do NOT sew it to the quilt until you are sure it worked.

4. Make sure you understand how to fill out the customs forms BEFORE you send an International package

5. Please DO NOT let tops pile up on you. If you need help, ask…there are others who can and will step in to help you through a time crunch bind. We can work it out.

6. Please handle the quilts carefully. We all drag them around to show them off to friends, guild members, LQS, etc. but when doing so, we can stretch the rows so the finished quilt doesn’t lie flat. Please make sure it does lie flat prior to mailing it on to the next person.

7. Feel free to add information to accompany your quilt such as colors you would prefer or something you definitely don't want, that it may be a gift, etc. Please don’t add fabric to your package as it does cost more to mail it along. You can add a little swatch card with what fabrics you used, the manufacturer’s name, etc. as someone may want to match something. If you do have extra fabric, you might want to let others know, they may ask for some to be mailed to them directly to work on a specific round if they can‘t purchase it.

8. If for ANY reason, you feel the need to resign from doing this at ANY point in the "game", PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know! It's not fair to the others for someone to just pull out, not tell anyone and keep what is not theirs.

Mailing Dates

You have two months to get each round done.

1st Row – mail by February 15th

Row 2 – April 15th

Row 3 – June 15th

Row 4 – August 15th

Row 5 – October 15th
Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Thank You so much Chrys for stepping up to be out leader.
This is my very first row robin also so I really don't know what I am doing but I am ready to have some fun!
So... I have been wondering...do we make a row of the same?

Our name??? how about:
Cloud Nine Quilters You know, we used to say "I am on cloud nine" when we were really happy?????
Thanks guys.....can't wait to start talking to all of you!
Candi
Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM

oh, I like that name! Anyone else have some other ideas?

As for the Row, I think for it can be whatever blocks you want to do. This is my first time doing a row robin as well. Look at the other groups that have their pictures up, that will help and inspire us all. :)
Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 AM

Roberta here. Cloud nine is fine with me.

I participated in Round Robins with my guild but on-line RR is new to me. This will be exciting and fun.

Thanks Chrys for signing up as leader
Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 PM

Good luck Chrys. I will be watching I am in group 7.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:37 PM

Hi guys,
Well I got my fabric today and it isn't anything like I thought it would be. I have had an idea in my head all this time and then today I went to the quilt store (a new one I had never been in before) and the fabric that spoke to me was so different than I thought I would pick.
Black, pink, white ...so cute
Can't wait to see what you all picked for your quilts~

I think I would like to put my row in the middle, (saw this was even possible on a different group) so how do you do that if I send mine off to #2? Would I sew the rows myself?
I have lots of questions and I sure you all do to so lets make some chatter haha!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gramakitten
Good luck Chrys. I will be watching I am in group 7.
Thanks! I'll watch for yours too! :)
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM

Hi all !!! 'Cloud 9' is a lovely name ! This is my first time in a row robin ~ I am very excited about this project !
Thanks for for being our fearless leader and leading us thru this adventure Chrys
~ looking forward to surprises, fun, and challenges !!

Let the quilting begin !!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 AM

Happy New Year ladies!!!! :) :)
Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 PM

Happy New Year Cloud Nine Quilters~~~~~
How was your New Years Eve? How did you spend the day/night?

I spent the day with my beautiful granddaughter that lives in Vegas. We spend most of the day with one of my daughters and her 4 kids, then we went to my other daughters home for the evening to spend time with her family and 4 kids.
So family time was what I did. I did come home really early (about 8pm) to spend the evening with my sick husband. We stayed up until midnight and then crashed!

How about you??

Have your started your Row yet??? I haven't but I do have my fabric and have been looking into what squares to make.
I am really interested what all of you are doing with your quilts. I surely want to be on time with my row and it seems like 6 weeks is a lot of time but I do know better than that so my question is if we get it finished before the deadline do we send it????????

Hope to hear from all of you soon!
Candi