Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Background fabric color >

Background fabric color

Background fabric color

Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM

Some of these suggestions are really depressing. Not to criticize, but remember that this quilt is being made for a sick person. Black, grey, tan all are depressant colors.

Go for the white background with yellow and green design.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Love the pattern! I'm sure it will look great no matter what you decide to do with your background fabrics! Hope your friend responds well to treatment!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:57 PM

You're making the quilt to please him...use his team's colors. The worrying about stains may be a moot point. Go for it!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Use the yellow as he likes the Packers. The quilt will wash fine and he will love it with the Packer colors.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
If you didn't read my other post a while back, I want to make a quilt for a friend of the family who was diagnosed with throat cancer last year.

Pic of quilt design:
[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/Shuriken.jpg[/IMG]

The idea I had for colors was to use green and yellow since he loves the Packers. I think I want the main blocks to be green on green and then the blocks that are on point to be yellow on yellow.

[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...dess/green.jpg[/IMG]
(was too lazy to do a yellow one on point)

Last time I posted about this quilt a few people pointed out that I shouldn't use a white background because it shows dirt and dust more easily and if he takes it to treatments it might get stained (blood, IV fluids, etc). But I can't think of what would work with this color scheme and also take into consideration of possible hospital related stains. Except black, but I don't want to go with black (for once! Usually I'm in support of all things black!) Think its just a little too striking for this quilt and using black for this is kind of depressing. Ideas?
I was given a quilt from my husbands favorite aunts over 50 years ago, it is a basket pattern with bright solids, and guess what the bacground is all white and it is still lovelyl go for it. :-D
Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 PM

I am from Wis. also. I think I would go with a real dark gold, maybe marbled. I made that Packer Quilt that every one was making a few years ago and it was all green and gold. Many different greens and golds. There was some brown (football) There was even a green fabric with gold stars, which was really neat. If you go to some of the quilt shops I'm sure you will find some fabrics that go with the packers colors. don't know where you are located but there is a shop in Appleton that does carry alot of packer type fabric, as she is a big packer fan. But I would stay away from white. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
There's no rule that says you have to use all one background color. Use the yellow background on the green stars and the green background on the yellow stars. A lot of teams also have a third color. Check and see what the Packers third color is and maybe use it.

I agree with our Scissor Queen, stick to the Packers colors it will be great! :D :D :D
Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

I say don't worry about stains and make the color scheme that will make you happy and proud.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 PM

I was thinking of perhaps a small green and yellow plaid or stripe or print.. leaves maybe or just something swirly or whatever just not flowery.. something masculine. I do like the idea of the green behind the yellow and the yellow behind the green, too.
If you go with the white, I'd do black between the blocks and for a border and binding to help cut the starkness of the white.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 PM

So many choices. I know I'd visit every LQS I could and look online too.

I personally like shades of green and shades of yellow ... so maybe a batik would be nice.

I hope you post a picture.

When I went with a friend for her chemo her feet [and mine, too] were cold too. So maybe also combine a pair of those colorful stretchy thick socks to go with the quilt.

ali