Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first time sewing binding on the longarm machine >

My first time sewing binding on the longarm machine

My first time sewing binding on the longarm machine

Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM

My local girlfriend won a small raffle quilt a year or two ago with colors that she really liked (purple, lavender, pink, yellow and a bit of orange). She decided she would like to hang it on the wall above her bed and have me make a bedspread to match. (Done.) Then she decided it would be nice to have matching pillow shams. (Done) And there was enough extra quilted fabric left over for a throw pillow too! Nice! After the shams were delivered, she decided she would like to have a throw for the foot of the bed.

Meanwhile, I am working on collecting tidbits of information on how to improve my long arm quilting skills. I tried sewing on the binding with the long arm machine. I didn't sew it on during the quilting process, but waited 'til the quilting was done. I rolled the quilt back to the beginning and sewed on the binding from the center "top", around the sides, to the center "bottom". It was a piece of cake, especially since making 20 feet of folded binding took only 3 minutes with the Simplicity Bias Tape Maker (after cutting and piecing). I still need to hand sew the back of the binding.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 PM

Glad you had such success. Can't wait to try it myself.