Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sheets for Backing >

Sheets for Backing

Sheets for Backing

Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM

I have read here that many quilters use sheets for backing and some buy single flat sheets at Walmart. I did a search and couldn't find the post I was looking for so I would like to ask this - is it necessary to use only 100% cotton sheets or are cotton/poly blends ok? All of my quilt tops are 100% cotton. I was in Walmart with DH today and all they had were the cotton blends. Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM

I use the blends and have no problem hand quilting them they wear forever and do not ball up like some cottons do.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

Ive used the blends too with no problem.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 PM

Personally, I only use cotton.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I have read here that many quilters use sheets for backing and some buy single flat sheets at Walmart. I did a search and couldn't find the post I was looking for so I would like to ask this - is it necessary to use only 100% cotton sheets or are cotton/poly blends ok? All of my quilt tops are 100% cotton. I was in Walmart with DH today and all they had were the cotton blends. Thanks
Do you prewash your fabric before quilting (the top and the backing)? I have used it all. I personally don't wash my top or backing before I finish my quilts. After it is completed and washed, the shrinkage make the quilt puffy where there is no quilting.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1barron
Originally Posted by Tropical
Do you prewash your fabric before quilting (the top and the backing)? I have used it all. I personally don't wash my top or backing before I finish my quilts. After it is completed and washed, the shrinkage make the quilt puffy where there is no quilting.
Because of my Chemical Sensitivities, I wash all of my fabrics as soon as they come into the house. I use white vinegar and baking soda along with my special laundry soap to remove the odors. Some, especially those from JoAnn smell so strongly of cinnamon and cologne. I do it to avoid shrinkage later on. I have found not all cottons shrink equally.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 PM

Then I suggestion is to use what you find. I have used it all.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:42 AM

Your choice, either one will turn out fine. If you're going to enter it in a show then I'd be sure to use cotton.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 AM

I have used all types of sheets successfully, cotton, cotton/poly blends and flannel. They all machine quilt and wash and wear very well. Just make sure to press, starch if they tend to wrinkle and pin or baste well before quilting. Watch out for the really cheap sheets (we've had them here lately in Walmart) that have very low thread counts, wide weaves and feel a little rough as they won't stand up to frequent washings and probably wear out before your top.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

sheet fabric is really nice to use.. sturdy. the blends will be more apparent soon.. cotton crops were damaged or replaced in areas. Quilt guild was talking about that last time. do not look forward to a blend for my tops.
I have use the sheets for curtain backs too.. teh hem already done ! so, enjoy! oh for lining of aprons too !