Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dilemma >

Dilemma

Dilemma

Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM

I was asked to quilt a quilt for a the mother of a friend and I agreed. It was delivered to me the other day BUT I was not informed that she had already sandwiched and sprayed basted the top, batting and backing. She was planning to do it herself. What am I suppose to do? I have a home system with a Janome. Eventually I would be quilting through all three layers so I am wondering I can leave it sandwiched, load onto the front bar and quilt as normal. Hope this makes sense. Has anyone ever tried quilting this way?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM

If you are planning on putting this on a frame, I'd tear it apart and load. If you are going to just FMQ or SID and would have pinned it anyways, I'd try it. It may not be pinned/spray basted right and you would have a nightmare.....
Old 01-20-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by marty_mo
I was asked to quilt a quilt for a the mother of a friend and I agreed. It was delivered to me the other day BUT I was not informed that she had already sandwiched and sprayed basted the top, batting and backing. She was planning to do it herself. What am I suppose to do? I have a home system with a Janome. Eventually I would be quilting through all three layers so I am wondering I can leave it sandwiched, load onto the front bar and quilt as normal. Hope this makes sense. Has anyone ever tried quilting this way?
Yes, I have done this: I had quilted a king size quilt by just sewing lines up and then accross. I never like the look.

When I got my LA, I loaded it on one roller and stretched accross to the receiving roller. I requilted on top of everything and it looks great.

Since you are doing this for someone, I would inform her that because you will be doing it the same way, that there might be some pleats in the back. I didn't have any. ...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 PM

I'd take apart especially since only 'spray' not actually thread basted or pins I have a long arm and got a couple with two blocks hand quilted and they changed their mind and I have to finish depends on how well basted if get puckers or not..
Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

I would not take it apart.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 PM

Ask her. Explain the issue, explain what could happen if you leave it together (pleats as Rosy mentioned) or what it would entail if you take it apart. Let her decide
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM

Definitely communicate with the client. Come to a mutual agreement and make sure she knows the risks of either way = pleats if you load it, ruined batting if you try to take it apart and it won't go. Good luck. Learn from the process, to get more information from the client before you agree to do a job, and to clearly state your requirements before the job, as to size of backing, not basting, top must be square and flat, etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 PM

I would give the owner the options you have, let her make the choice. Whichever you decide, best of luck with this one.