Exploited?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 PM

My husband tells me that we women are exploited and no man would pay what we pay. The issue came up over a cone thread holder which I bought at Joann's and was disappointed to find that it was flimsy plastic (at $6.99!! but I did use my 40% off). He was making reference to my new Accuquilt cutter (which I got at Amazon at what I thought was a large discount over the listed price). He considered it over-priced even at that (and also plastic and flimsy),no man would buy it. I was reading about over-priced magazines and wondered if we really are exploited, what can we do about it?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Stop buying into every fad and whimsy item. Women love to shop and will buy anything.
I am selling the stash that resulted from my buying frenzies and now shop only with an item in mind. For instance, I was at a wholesalers sale today and bought only some fabrics I needed for a quilt. Ordinarily, I would have bought BIG just because it was so cheap! Prices have gone up significantly because quilters are pretty much a captive audience. We love to "brag" about our stashes even if we only accumulate. I've resigned from that and will not get caught up in it again. My money is better spent on enjoying life than being tied up on a shelf in a closet.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 PM

Just remind him when they pay $50.00 to watch a boxing match on Pay per View and it ends on the second round. At least with your flimsy plastic holder you have something to show. They have nothing!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Limey
My husband tells me that we women are exploited and no man would pay what we pay. The issue came up over a cone thread holder which I bought at Joann's and was disappointed to find that it was flimsy plastic (at $6.99!! but I did use my 40% off). He was making reference to my new Accuquilt cutter (which I got at Amazon at what I thought was a large discount over the listed price). He considered it over-priced even at that (and also plastic and flimsy),no man would buy it. I was reading about over-priced magazines and wondered if we really are exploited, what can we do about it?
I think that's a rather sexist statement. I know men who buy lots of gadgets. I also know many men who are "collectors" of what I'd consider junk. If you think an item is not worth the money-don't buy it, it's as simple as that. I don't consider myself a victim of anything.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM

I totally agree with shequilts. Simplify, simplify, simplify. It's amazing how well you can do without all the gadgets. I only buy what i need (except an occasional quilting book) Didn't used to be that way but when we retired and downsized i realized how much i really had. Why buy fabric at any price if you never use it. DH went on a diet too.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:15 PM

My husband spends money on bullets and guns. He blows through money and has only holes on a target to show for it. At least I have a finished product that is usable. Not only that, but I can do my hobby all the time... taking it with me if I want, whereas he has to leave home and go out shooting.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If you like and you use it, it has value. Just like a drill, a barbque, and Harley or a vintage car.....I don't think we are exploited by fabric/quilting/sewing anymore that we are by any other item on the market. We can, however, be aware of what we NEED versus what we WANT and be prudent about what we spend our money on. Cheap tools often (not always) result in cheap results. In this economy being a smart shopper is immportant.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaO
Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If you like and you use it, it has value. Just like a drill, a barbque, and Harley or a vintage car.....I don't think we are exploited by fabric/quilting/sewing anymore that we are by any other item on the market. We can, however, be aware of what we NEED versus what we WANT and be prudent about what we spend our money on. Cheap tools often (not always) result in cheap results. In this economy being a smart shopper is immportant.
I firmly agree.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM

He was making you feel bad for spending money!!!!!! I tell my hubby the more cigars he buys the more fabric I get. Only kidding with him, but its fun to tease!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I don't think this topic has anything to do with gender.