Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk about an unnecessary item! >

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Crafty Chick: Our store had to have it hauled away... It was always nice to have even a few less to take back to the back room at the end of the night.
Originally Posted by Crafty Chick
I recently worked at JoAnn's and the bolts that their fabric came in on was actually folded cardboard instead of those thicker ones. You can get 2 0r 3 fabric boards from one if you cut it right. Make it a point to be in the store just before closing-the clerks take the empties back to the stock room to be crushed and will be glad to let you have a few.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM

I used these yrs ago when I could get them (worked & taught for a LQS) but they do take up more room ... I cut a lot of mine in half for smaller amts. I still have some, but I've bought the plastic organizers since. Some stores here won't give them away, friends have asked & been told No.
They also make a good travel pressing board - cover with a couple layers of cotton batting & wrap with fabric or an old pillowcase to fit. :)
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Anyone near me who wants my empty boards is more than welcome to them! We throw lots away every week.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM

I get them from the local quilt shop. After a bolt is done they inventory it and then put it in the back of the shop where they welcome everyone to take whatever they want.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 PM

Hi, I am a lurker, LOL but I had to reply! Can I PLEASE shop at your stash store????????????
Old 02-01-2011, 01:35 PM

I came up with the exact same solution - my JoAnn's gives the bolts away, and if yours doesn't, you can always just use cardboard boxes and cut them to size. Quilting is all about saving money (once we buy all of our expensive gadgets, that is!!!) and this works really well! If they get messed up, just throw them out and get more!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM

I can see where Scissor Queen is coming from. You say the 'bought' boards are an unnecessary item (complete with !). For some people like me, who cannot cut cardboard out easily, they are necessary. For people concerned about acid leaching, or for people whose stores do NOT give out the empty bolts for free, or people who don't want to collect old campaign signs or wait until after an election, they are necessary. It's fine to present it as a hint but that's not how it looks to some people-it's more of a 'you used this or that and you paid for it and it's so unnecessary'.

Originally Posted by shequilts
SQ
'Sorry you find my hint to be so insulting. It really has nothing to do with you. If you will scroll through the dozens of posts, you'll see most people think it a good idea.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
You implied that it was somehow wrong to spend money on boards to store fabric when you can use something free and how that's unnecessary. It may not be what you intended but when you look down your nose at something somebody uses it is insulting.

SQ
I believe you read something I didn't write. I actually asked a question: "why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on?" I then told about my method of storage and mentioned that it was free. Free is good!

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I keep hearing about the boards used to fold and store fabric, and from what I hear, they're not cheap. Why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on? I've used this for years and never spent a dime on a "board". They're free anywhere that sells fabric. I have closet shelves in my walk-in closet. They're three deep on the back wall and two sides. I have over 400 "bolts" stacked on end in this closet. I sort by color family and can easily "shop" for what I need. My only investment was for the shelves. The cardboards are replaceable for free.
I attached a couple of pics to clarify what I mean.
To be honest this is sort of an insult. To tell someone a product they use is unnecessary just because you don't use it is kind of insulting. Just because you don't use it, need it or want it doesn't mean nobody else should use it, need it or want it.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The cardboard bolts are too thick to save space. Using the thin fabric boards you can get three times the amount of fabric on a shelf. I started out using the Wilton cake boards cut in half (works good), went to comic book boards (the cheapest boards ever and do a good job)and then bought the original fabric boards. I've been throwing out the other boards and buying the fabric boards a package at a time. They are worth it.
Where can you buy the fabric boards?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM

I think the ones she was talking about are at http://www.polarnotions.com
Old 02-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I think the ones she was talking about are at http://www.polarnotions.com
There's somebody that sells them fairly cheap on ebay. I don't remember the sellers name but if you search "fabric organizers" you should find it.