Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I doing this right? >

Am I doing this right?

Am I doing this right?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:28 AM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Carol. I live in Colorado about 30 minutes from the beautiful Rocky Mountains. I have put together sooo many quilt tops and taken apart sooo many quilt tops and struggled for years with quilting. I am sure I have made at least 10 to 20 tops and taken each and everyone of them completely apart because I just wasn't sure of them. I don't have any family that lives nearby and I currently don't know anyone nearby that quilts. My husband was starting to get frustrated with me and he suggested that I look for some help and get up and over this mountain that I seem to be climbing. I promised my husband that this would be the year that I learn to quilt from start to finish ~ even if I have to pull out a bazzillion or more stitches.

So, here I am...I am currently waiting for the start of a quilting class and I am currently working on a top for what I hope turns into a baby quilt for my husband's cousin. This quilt is supposed to have a huge star in the middle of it. Then it will be framed with two different widths of border and then binding. I am enclosing a photo in hopes that some of you might take a look at what I have done so far and give me some feedback.

Are my squares and points lined up close enough? Am I on the right track? I really need all the help I can get right now, so I thank you all in advance for your feedback, both positive and negative.

~Carol~

Half of the Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]124996[/ATTACH]

The other two fabrics for the two outside borders. The green one will be half the size of the butterfly print.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125094[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-124991.jpe   attachment-125089.jpe  
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 AM

Yes,i think so cute fabric.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 AM

Looks perfect to me.

Great job!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 AM

Your star looks great but don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like your confidence is low. We were all beginners and some of us have gotten past the ripout every stitch stage. Don't worry so much about perfecting every point or seam line. Just have fun making your quilts and you will finish them. Be sure to show us when you have it completed.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 AM

Quilting is supposed to be a fun and relaxing pastime. It sounds as if your quest for perfection and all of that ripping is taking all the fun out of quilting. What you have shown us looks just great. Don't rip it out, just finish up the rest of it!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 AM

I wish my points matched as well as yours do! The quilting itself will minimize any little mismatches. In my limited experience, most folks don't notice them at all, they're too overwhelmed with the joy of receiving a handmade gift. Go for it, it's lovely so far!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:55 AM

Everything looks great. Your points are really good. The only thing I would suggest is to sew the next round--the border--if I understand correctly--from the star side. That way you can make sure not to cut off the points. Post again when you get to the next step.
Sue
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

your half a star is BEAUTIFUL! you are doing a great job...and stop taking apart your quilt tops! when a top is finished...put it aside until you can get it quilted or tie it...but don't go un-do all of your piecing work. when you finally start getting them quilted and bound you will find that often quilting 'BREATHS LIFE INTO A QUILT' and what you 'thought' was not so good is actually very very good! they are not supposed to look (MANUFACTURED-PERFECT) they are supposed to look like beautiful hand created items!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 AM

Lovely piecing, good points they match well. little tiny msmatches are not noticed once its quilted. All you have to be is like the little engine who could. (Yes I CAN, and he did))
Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 AM

Your points look great. Love your fabric selection, too.