Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM

I'm making the patches and pinwheels from the Quiltville site, I finished up all the blocks last night, 60 pinwheels and 60 sixteen patch blocks, when I get home tonight I'll lay them out. Hopefully I'll get the top put together this weekend.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Originally Posted by grann of 6
And another top done! Here is my latest pinwheel quilt for kids. The backing will be the airplane fabric and wrapped to the front for binding. I am about Pinwheeled out at this point. I have done 80 total, not counting some rejects.
Very nice! The kid will love it. Don't forget to come back and post to help me offer encouragement to all the others.

I got rained out of golf today so I finished my pinwheels!
I ended up only needing 25 since they are 9" finished. I made 4 this morning to take the place of the pink and purples I took out!
I'm taking white on white squares and sewing with a saddle stitch an outline of a 5" star using the pinwheel colors in each square to put between my pinwheels.
That's the final plan subject to change of course.

:-D
Oh you poor thing.... missing golf. I was taking Heidi to the vet for her yearly checkup in monsoon rains. But good news, she is very healthy for her 8+ years on this wonderful earth. And she only gained 1/2 pound in a year. I thought she had gained more; I apologized to her for that. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Anyway I will probably do some more pinwheels with scraps. I got a pack of 90 charm squares that are all neutrals that I may combine with something. I want to see more pics....
Old 03-10-2011, 04:43 PM

glad to know the weather is crumby everywhere - it was last wek weh I saw the sun. . . I think
Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 PM

And another top done! Here is my latest pinwheel quilt for kids. The backing will be the airplane fabric and wrapped to the front for binding. I am about Pinwheeled out at this point. I have done 80 total, not counting some rejects.
Very nice! The kid will love it. Don't forget to come back and post to help me offer encouragement to all the others.

I ended up only needing 25 since they are 9" finished. I made 4 this morning to take the place of the pink and purples I took out!
I'm taking white on white squares and sewing with a saddle stitch an outline of a 5" star using the pinwheel colors in each square to put between my pinwheels.

Oh you poor thing.... missing golf. I was taking Heidi to the vet for her yearly checkup in monsoon rains. But good news, she is very healthy for her 8+ years on this wonderful earth. And she only gained 1/2 pound in a year. I thought she had gained more; I apologized to her for that. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Anyway I will probably do some more pinwheels with scraps. I got a pack of 90 charm squares that are all neutrals that I may combine with something. I want to see more pics....
We're about 12" short of rainfall so I was glad to see the rain.
I had a two day golf tournament for tomorrow and Sat but I canceled since a cold front is coming though tonight. It will only be about 48 in the morning and only 68 in the afternoon! :-D
Yes, I am spoiled with Florida weather. I love it hot and even play all summer in the heat of the day!
I don't know if Heidi is a dog or cat but I'm glad she's healthy.
I have a wonderful dog I got at a shelter a couple of years ago and my mother's cat.
I was the only one that would take the cat when mom died. She's about 15 I think and showing her age now. I'm not much of a cat person but couldn't get rid of her.

My big idea of the stars in the blocks hasn't worked out yet. The thread keeps breaking and I haven't figured out why yet. I'll keep working on it or come up with a plan B.
I could applique them on but I wanted just an outline. Maybe another stitch would be better.

Today is day 29!

Keep it up everyone!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 PM

"I'm....sewing with a saddle stitch an outline of a 5" star using the pinwheel colors in each square to put between my pinwheels."

Please post a close-up pic as I have no clue what a saddle stitch is and would love to see. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:34 AM

We're about 12" short of rainfall so I was glad to see the rain.
I had a two day golf tournament for tomorrow and Sat but I canceled since a cold front is coming though tonight. It will only be about 48 in the morning and only 68 in the afternoon! :-D
Yes, I am spoiled with Florida weather. I love it hot and even play all summer in the heat of the day!
I don't know if Heidi is a dog or cat but I'm glad she's healthy.
I have a wonderful dog I got at a shelter a couple of years ago and my mother's cat.
I was the only one that would take the cat when mom died. She's about 15 I think and showing her age now. I'm not much of a cat person but couldn't get rid of her.

My big idea of the stars in the blocks hasn't worked out yet. The thread keeps breaking and I haven't figured out why yet. I'll keep working on it or come up with a plan B.
I could applique them on but I wanted just an outline. Maybe another stitch would be better.

Today is day 29!

Keep it up everyone!
Pennsylvania can send you some of our rain. I have a lake in my front yard this morning. I don't know how much we got yesterday, but it had to be at least 2 or 3 inches. By the way, Heidi is a Great Dane. Life expectancy is usually 8 years, but the vet says we should be able to get many more years from her. She is a wonderful wonderful rescue dog. She was in a puppy mill making puppies as fast as she could spit them out. That is why we are so thrilled that she is so healthy; they tend to have many health issues when overbred like that. Anyhow, good luck with your blocks, I know you will figure it out. Remember, don't overthink it; that's when we get ourselves in trouble.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
"I'm....sewing with a saddle stitch an outline of a 5" star using the pinwheel colors in each square to put between my pinwheels."

Please post a close-up pic as I have no clue what a saddle stitch is and would love to see. Thanks!
I can't take pictures since I don't know how to work my new camera but my saddle stitch is a built in decorative stitch on my Janome 9000. The machine takes a forward stitch, then a backwards stitch, then another forward stitch to make a line that's triple the size of a straight stitch.
I thought it would be a nice touch and I will work on it again today.
I know it's operator error!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by dhanke
I'm making the patches and pinwheels from the Quiltville site, I finished up all the blocks last night, 60 pinwheels and 60 sixteen patch blocks, when I get home tonight I'll lay them out. Hopefully I'll get the top put together this weekend.
Wow! That's a lot of work in 29 days!
Good for you. Show a picture when it's done.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM

I can't take pictures since I don't know how to work my new camera but my saddle stitch is a built in decorative stitch on my Janome 9000. The machine takes a forward stitch, then a backwards stitch, then another forward stitch to make a line that's triple the size of a straight stitch.
I was wrong about the saddle stitch. It's one big stitch forward and two little ones backwards then forwards again. It makes a fatter stitch for an outline.

Anyway: I found the operator error. At first when I started in the middle of the block I forgot to pull up the bobbin thread to the top so it kept tangling and breaking. :oops:
Then I would re thread the machine WRONG which didn't help. :oops:
I have it right now so I will continue with those blocks for my pinwheel quilt.

Today is day 30!
Keep working all!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Do you have stabilizer under where you're trying to use that stitch? If you don't have tear away stabilizer then use freezer paper ironed lightly onto the back of the fabric, tears easily off. And are you using the thread vertically and a topstitch needle may work better. I love my 9000, it's a real workhorse! Good luck.