Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting >

machine quilting

machine quilting

Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 AM

I am a new quilter, I made a lap size quilt and wanted to machine quilt around the designs. The top where I want the design is white, and the bottom is green. So I fill the bobbin with green thread, and the top with white. The bottom green thread shows on the top white thread (makes it look dotted green and white). I tried to ajust the tensions, but didn't help the top much. I wondered if anyone has tried clear thread to quilt? On the package it says to use the clear thread on the top and put a regular thread in the bobbin, has anyone tried this? Can I not put the clear thread in the bobbin?? Thanks for your help
Old 02-05-2011, 06:31 AM

I use YLI Wonder invisible thread on all my quilts. And yes, I have used regular thread in the bobbin.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:38 AM

I have put clear thread in the bobbin, but here's a big warning: wind the bobbin at about 1/4 speed. It stretches. Once I had wound the bobbin so tight it wouldn't come off the spindle and I had to take my machine to the doctor. Also I've found that clear thread leave little "pokes" when starting and stopping. Not for use on baby quilts, if you ask me.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM

I only use invesible thread on the top when doing SID. It would be almost impossible to see when doing FMQ. I ran into the same problem when trying to match black thread on backing and invisible on top. I chose a complimentary color for the back in this case gold. The quilting did not blend in but showed up as decoration on backing. You could try different shades of gray on bottom with the white on top. The gray may blend in better on both sides. LOL
Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 AM

I have used the clear thread in the bobbin and did not have a problem.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:27 AM

I've used clear thread on top and regular thread on the bottom with no problems.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Thank you all , going to be trying invisible thread 1st time soon !
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I don't like the texture of the invisible thread.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

It's really not recommended to use the polyester thread in the bobbin but if it works for you.....

BTW: make sure your clear thread is POLYESTER and not Nylon. Nylon can melt and has the potential to become brittle.

Have you thought about quilting from the back side? That way the clear thread would be in the top.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Invisable on top, regular bobbin When I didn't know any better I put it in the bobbin too and got nothing but machine jams...very annoying so no more in the bobbin