Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue? >

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:19 AM

My quilting time is very limited so I try to find the easiest way possible. I made a QFK's stip piecing and I got it done and quilted in 3 hours. I can't imagine how long it would have taken me if I had to sew all those little squares together.

Then again I did fussy cut a Dora quilt for my granddaughter and sewed all the squares together. But that was different I wanted each square to have a Dora right in the middle.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 AM
RST

Actually they are cutting with a rotary cutter and rulers.

My question is about the directions where they have people cut every little square out individually, when the pattern lends itself to sewing long strips together, and then cutting across the strips to yeild a nice collection of already sewn-together row of small squares or rectangles.

I just browsed through a cute book at the library -- DAre to be Square. The patterns lend themselves very admirably to strip piecing, but again, the author gives directions for cutting each block individually and sewing together individual blocks. Made me shudder (I say this without snarkiness-- just many years of quilting experience and self knowledge about a closet full of UFOs).

RST
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 AM

This is my first post on this board. It may be my last. This entire line of thinking disturbs me. Because I am a relatively new quilter, I enjoy every tidbit of information that I can find on the web in terms of instruction and ideas. I've been participating in quilt a longs because they help me step outside my comfort zone. Do I like every block? No. But I would never, ever, be critical of someone who took the time to put it together for the rest of us. I'm sincerely grateful to every blogger who makes the effort to share with the rest of us.

I've discovered techniques that work and some that don't. That's okay. There may be easier ways to do something, but at least I'm doing something! Not all of us were born with fully formed quilts in our heads... Some of us still need the beginner instructions (and may always need those instructions). What seems simple to some can be complex to others.

Thank you to all who make/take the time to do the quilt a longs. I'm so proud of myself whenever I finish a block that I might not have otherwise attempted. It may not be perfect, but I did it! I need the detailed instruction and the practice - and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Well... I am just a little ticked off that I missed the beginning of a quilt along with one of my favorite artists.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Okay, I need to ask you ladies, and forgive me for the ignorance! but is the strip quilting cutting strips of material and sewing them together. I have seen some patterns like this and didn't understand what they were talking about and didn't try them. So if you will please explain this to me.. and the patterns were so pretty! And is it easier? quicker?

simple?
thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 AM

In recent years, I have had the same thought reguarding half square triangles. I see many patterns in magazines that still tell you to cut triangles, rather than one of the faster, easier methods of making them. I too wonder why?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 AM
RST

Isewcrooked -- how is a question disturbing? It's not "critical". It's not being mean. It's gathering informantion and insight to the choices that a blogger or author makes in presenting directions.

You might find that, with good directions, as you say you need, you don't sew crooked when doing strip piecing. You might find that you can complete a quilt and be happy and proud of it. Or not.

Either way, I'm curious why someone would prefer to do something the harder, more labor intensive way.

I've been quilting for over 40 years. (I made my first quilt when I was 6.) I've made quilts back when we drew lines on the fabric, around a cardboard template, and cut each one out with scissors. It was a very happy day when I got my first Trudie Hughes (?sp) set of rulers and cutting board/rotary cutter. I still use those same rulers, btw.

I found it helpful and intersting that Cheri explained that she is presenting her quilt along as a skill builder -- that answered some of my question. She seems like a very gracious and nice lady.

I still wonder why some authors / bloggers make their projects very labor intensive, when they don't have to be. But I'll refrain from mentioning Franson, lest her supporters stone me and call me mean.

And I do hope you continue to post, crooked-sewer -- the comradarie amongst quilters online is a fun and motivating thing, I think.

RST
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM
RST

Psychomomquilter-- I hope someone jumps in with links and info for you. I have to run to a day full of appointments and unfun stuff, but if you're still hanging when I get online again, I'll take a stab at answering you. I even have a strip-pieced top I made last night (in less than two hours) to show you how it works ; )

RST
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Allrighty then Thanks RST.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
what is wrong with them? I would strip piece anyday.
me too! :lol: