Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue? >

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM

I have to agree with you, mostly I just enjoy the trip (process) rather than the destination (project).
Originally Posted by Aurora
Could it possibly be that for some it is as much about the process. I know I am interested in making quilts using more of the techniques used by my grandmother.

My rotary cutter has not been my new best friend in most cutting scenarios. Most of my scraps were created by inaccurate rotary cutting. One of my coguild friends gave me some pointers last week when I was cutting strips for my new siggy blocks. I will give strip cutting another chance, but for now my rotary cutter is on my endangered species list. Don't get me wrong, it does have its uses once accurate strips are cut.

I really enjoy the process more than the speed.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM
RST

>It's boring to just cut mindlessly and sew strips and recut and sew again. >

See, to my mind, it's tedious beyond belief to first cut out several hundred squares, then sit at the machine with a stack of 435 squares (or so) which need to be stitched together in particular order, then press those and sew some more, and get a block done, then kind of get tired of the whole thing, and set it aside in a cute little box with a nice label on it, and then, years later, go through a closet and find those hundreds of squares, but some are missing, inexplicably. . .

Oh, wait, am I the only one who's had that happen?

I think there are some aspects of quilting that are just going to be tedious (varies by person) and having the skill set to minimize the things that are barriers to completing the job at a level of competence that you can live with -- that is the key.

RST
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM

My hat is off to you, I think teaching the basics should be, er, basic. Sometimes I feel like a quilt dinosaur. I can draft a block if I want a different size, I can (hanging my head) often figure out how to make a quilt by looking at the picture and not buying the pattern, I can make HST without thangles or paper-piecing them, I can bind a quilt without a binding tool. Now, having said that, I must admit I am a gadget junkie but sometimes I buy said gadgets and seldom (if ever) use them. BTW, are you the designer of "Silk Tempest"? I have my silks and fine needles and threads collected. Going to use my "new" Pfaff 7570 on this baby!
Originally Posted by chq
Hello! I'm Cherri House of Cherry House Quilts, the author of City Quilts, and the designer of the quilt along that is being widely discussed. Is your question, why do my instructions called for all those 1 1/2" squares vs. strip piecing? Because many of the quilters doing this quilt along are creating their first quilt. I'm all for doing things faster/quicker, but there is nothing wrong with knowing and working on the fundamentals...perfecting your 1/4" seam allowance, working on accurate cutting skills. This quilt along is part of a skill building series that I will be hosting. If you want to participate, great! If it's all too elementary and you are not interested, great. Above everything else, I created this free quilt pattern and quilt along to provide a sense of community, and followship amongst quilters - old & new.

Cherri
Old 02-08-2011, 05:45 PM

One more comment and I'll shut up. While we disagree as to what is boring and what isn't, I will defend you til I drop in that I see nothing wrong with posting a question and trying to understand something. I saw no criticism implied or otherwise. To me, your question was no different than asking why some ladies prefer to hand quilt when machine quilting is so much quicker.
Originally Posted by RST
>It's boring to just cut mindlessly and sew strips and recut and sew again. >

See, to my mind, it's tedious beyond belief to first cut out several hundred squares, then sit at the machine with a stack of 435 squares (or so) which need to be stitched together in particular order, then press those and sew some more, and get a block done, then kind of get tired of the whole thing, and set it aside in a cute little box with a nice label on it, and then, years later, go through a closet and find those hundreds of squares, but some are missing, inexplicably. . .

Oh, wait, am I the only one who's had that happen?

I think there are some aspects of quilting that are just going to be tedious (varies by person) and having the skill set to minimize the things that are barriers to completing the job at a level of competence that you can live with -- that is the key.

RST
Old 02-08-2011, 05:49 PM

Usually, inexperience is the answer as you suggest, I think. If I look at something and can see an easier way with less piecing, I do my own method to achieve the same result.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
what is wrong with them? I would strip piece anyday.
Should we be the judge? It's whatever floats their boat -- whatever is more comfortable to them.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM
RST

An informed choice is one thing -- the experienced quilter who has tried several ways, and has found what they like, knows what floats their boat, and makes a choice based on their preferences -- that, I will never argue with.

But not even knowing that there might be a faster or easier way to do something, and not having the intellectual curiosity to at least consider what the benefits might be to another method -- that does puzzle me.

I think that in some cases (not saying anyone in particular) there are people gifted in design and graphics who have made their way into the world of quilting, either via paper arts or computer graphics or fabric design. They make quilts. People like their quilts because they are graphically gifted, and their style feels current and fresh. But they do not necessarily come into quilting with a lot of technical knowledge or depth of methodology. So when they write patterns or teach or do tutorials, they are not necessarily giving the most considered or well plotted approach.

All this is theory on my part. And as I said, I attach no names to any of this. And I appreciate the "new" quilters and the modern look, and the energy and enthusiasm.

And, back to first post -- I find myself wondering if they don't know any different way, or if it's a conscious decision, because they find it relaxing to cut out 495 1.5 inch square accurately. ; )

RST
Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 PM

I like doing things the easy way and now I try to find patterns using my Accuquilt GO. If I do find a pattern I really like I will see if I can make the pattern easier to cut rather than lots of little pieces.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Perhaps to use scraps rather than yardage?
That's what I was thinking too. If you have tons of scraps and want to use tons of colors, it may be necessary to cut pieces. (Me - not so much a fan).

By the way, I remember reading that while PATTERNS fall under the copyright rules, a "TECHNIQUE" cannot be copyrighted. Sure hope I understood that right. It was in one of the Quiltmags when the copyright rules seemed to go rampant.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Just weighing in on an aspect of this discussIon. Two things the newest generation of quilters hasn't had as much access to as previous generations are 4H sewing groups and and school Home Economics programs. The dollars for these and "shop", automotIve and similar programs have shifted to technology. Skills many may have learned as children or teens are now being learned as young adults. This may be why some instructors feel repetative practice hones newly developing skills. Things occur to those that have extensive sewing experience but newer Quilters don't have that knowledge to always connect the dots to a different maybe simpler way of doing things. Just some thoughts.