Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bill's &BonBon's Garden >

Bill's &BonBon's Garden

Bill's &BonBon's Garden

Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 AM

I should have taken and posted pics. when this garden was at its peak. Bill,Mom and I have been harvesting,shelling,canning for abt. 3weeks now.
WE lost all of the beets because of deer and rabbits. The heat really did a number on the squash,cucumbers,eggplants. We did get enough of cucumbers to make over a dozen pints of bread&butter pickels. Still picking blackeyes, Tomatoes,Okra. Now that okra seems to like the hot weather some of it is almost as tall as me and I am 5'4". I love fryed or boiled okra. We bought an electric fence for next year. Bill says that won't keep the rabbits out. But the deer will leave it alone after one shock that will not harm. Some of the garden looks like weeds, looks are deceiving. The green vine with purple blooms are sweet potatoes. next to it is the red or regular potatoes, these are abt. ready to dig.not the sweet but the other. The black eyes are just outstanding they refuse to quick producing.
I have 7 Blackberry Plants, Got them last yr. and put them in the ground. They still have maybe a quart left to get ripe. I have put up in the freezer 5 gallons of them. Soooo Good.
Between the garden,house,husband and being a caregiver for my Mom. I have been checking in sporadicalyI didn't believe I would ever get my attic window sashing sewn,mitered. But HURRAH :D :D I have 18 more to do and I can start sewing them together.
Here are some pics. of garden and canning.

Bill'sBonBon

black berry vines with some still getting ripe
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12888[/ATTACH]

The time on my camera says 10th how strange. this is our garden at its decline.but still doing great.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12889[/ATTACH]

lima beans,bread&butter pickels,Blackeyes and tomatoes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13635[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-12888.jpe   attachment-12889.jpe   attachment-13635.jpe  
Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 AM

Great garden BonBon!!! Boy they are a lot of work arent they!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 AM

Great garden. Loved it when I had room for a garden. Love green beans! I guess you have been canning!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Lookin' good. Mine is getting burned up every day. I've been getting up at 6:30 AM to water it with the hose. I planted a second corn crop in mid July and boy...it wants water. So do the tomatoes. So far- I have put up 31 qrts. of tom. juice. I have been making freezer pickles from a recipe from Elizabeth A on this board. Let me tellyou......delish!!! Absolutely delish!!! My cucs are burned up now, so I guess I'll have to wait until next year to make more :cry:

Wish I had those blackberries and purple hulls you described!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:46 AM

Wish I had the land for a garden like that; with the prices at the stores we all need one.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:49 AM

We didn't plant a garden this year because the garage will take over where the garden used to be. But boy, oh boy I love canning haven't done it in a couple of years since my tomatoes haven't done well. Oh well, enjoy your vegatables in the winter they will be the best.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by mgshaw
Great garden BonBon!!! Boy they are a lot of work arent they!
Yes they are a lot of work,which pays off in the end. Plus the 3 of us love doing it. We are retired and on a set income. I may or may not go back to work. I get an interview soon. But since I have been on this site. It seems like I can handle life a little better. I mean arn't I working at home :P :P .
Bill'sBonBon
Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 AM

Yummy! Everything looks so good! I'll take one jar of each! My mom had those mushroom canisters in your picture.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:18 AM

Nice garden! My cucumbers and zucchinis and peas couldn't take the heat either. I have a second corn crop, more green beans, peppers and squash growing now. I think a winter crop will be easier and more productive. Darn bugs are the worst! I put on Sevin dust and the rain washes it away.

Oh well, it is my first year trying to grow stuff in Florida. Next year will be better!

Have Bill "water" around the garden and that should keep the rabbits away. Cheaper than coyote urine at the gardening store!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 AM

I'M JEALOUS! I love gardens!
Can't have one here, too hot!
Can I come help you?
I used to can everything I could get my hands on.
Loved doing pickles, so did the neighborhood. Would have people knocking on my door asking if they could buy some. lol