Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Pennsylvania >

Hello from Pennsylvania

Hello from Pennsylvania

Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM

Hi,

I'm new to quilting. I'm trying to teach myself using books. I already made a rag quilt for my daughters,which turned out fine(very easy). I'm in the process of making a table runner. I have all the blocks put together, but I'm afraid to cut the binding. Can anyone tell me an easy way to cut the binding strips? ? I have no idea why I'm so apprehensive about this. Thanks for your help.
Karen
Old 04-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Hi Whats uo Doc? I couldn't help my self tee hee

http://quilting.about.com/od/bindingaquilt/ss/binding_strips.htm

This is a good place to start it usually has good how tos Thats how I learned besides stacks of books from the library

Welcome this is the place to ask questions and tell us your ideas and post pictures of your work..........we're a friendly bunch
Old 04-19-2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the advice, Ruth. I'm going to check it out tomorrow when I have more time. Believe it or not, I just got ack from rollerskating with my 7 yr old. To say the least, I'm tired. Thanks again. :D
Old 04-19-2007, 05:30 PM

welcom I know you'll it here. We're all very friedly and willing to answer questions
Old 04-19-2007, 07:07 PM

ah, I don't have an answer to help with the binding. I am new to quilting, too. I made a trio of quilt mini-minis. I found the binding to be the hardest part. By the time I reached the third, it was getting easier. They were small, so it shouldn't give you too much trouble. :D
Good luck with the binding and welcome to the greatest site on the www! Are you addicted yet? You will be! It's great here!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:56 AM

I have been reading all the great hints on this site for a couple of weeks. I am pretty new to quilting and I love all the support and help you offer. A friend told me about a log cabin quilt method that is quilt as you go. Each square is made with a backing square and batting and the logs are added one at time sewing through all layers. Does anyone have the specific directions for this? It sounds easy, but I need step by step directions. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:41 PM

Don't be afraid to mess up fabric, start with an inexpensive piece. Botch it and you can make rag toys and donate them to an animal shelter.
Make a lap quilt and give it to your local VA hospital or nursing home .They don't care if it's perfect just that you care enough to bring something. 8)
Old 06-07-2007, 04:49 PM

The Make a quilt in a day log cabin pattern and book are by Eleanor Burns. You can call 18008330690 or thru nancysnotion.com

You can actually finish it in one day.
This is a great book and most quilt shops carry it.But that means taking time out from your machine, traffic and mean salesladies.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:12 AM

Welcome karen,
You will love this site and don't forget to check out the live chat. Where in Pa are you from? western I hope! happy quilting and don't fret over the bindings.

Donna
Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 AM

This my method and I don't know if the quilt police will approve or not. I like to cut my binding fabric on the straight grain. Other people say to use the bias, but I guess that would be your preference. I cut my strips 2 1/2 inches wide and double the to give the edge extra strength. I am not sure if I am answering your question or not. Maybe soemone else will jump in and help you out if this is not what you needed to know.