Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rulers slip when cutting?  found a solution.... >

Rulers slip when cutting? found a solution....

Rulers slip when cutting? found a solution....

Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 AM

So I am squaring up my pinwheels with a 12 1/2" square ruler and it keeps slipping on me. Tried that Ruler Grip; won't stick to an Olfa mat. So I remembered I had gotten some little clear anti skid pot pads in the hardware aisle of Wal Mart. There are several sizes in the pack. I put 2 on each side so they don't interfere with my pinwheel seams. Give just enough height to keep the ruler from pivoting on the bulk of the center seam. And VOILA it worked! No more skidding. I am going to get a mess more of these things to put on all my rulers. I threw the package away so I can't tell you the name. But they work GREAT!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 AM

thanks for the tip - I want to try it.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 AM

I also use my DH's sticky back sandpaper....he'll never miss them little piecies....:-)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Also, make sure you are leaving at least your ring finger and pinky off of the ruler to 'anchor' your hand to the fabric. This helps with slipping as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM

Good tip!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 AM

What about those square or round rubber grippers that are used for opening stubborn jar lids? One would fit between the fabric and the ruler pretty well.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
What about those square or round rubber grippers that are used for opening stubborn jar lids? One would fit between the fabric and the ruler pretty well.
Good idea, didn't think of that. But since I have the bulk of the center seam of the pinwheels, I need something to keep it from pivoting. These dots work great and don't block my view of anything.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
good idea. i buy that rubber stuff at doller gen as shelf liner. i cut my own lid things out of them and also put under my machine to cut down on vibration. and to keep it from sliding. i got a lot of smallish 2 inch or so pieces. i bet i could make my own dots also. i bet this stuff is good for a lot of things.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

sand paper dots work the best, but so does clear nail polish with a sprinkle of play sand in it!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zebra2
Also, make sure you are leaving at least your ring finger and pinky off of the ruler to 'anchor' your hand to the fabric. This helps with slipping as well.
I've never had any luck with that trick. I suspect probably because my left hand is basically useless for most tasks. Not handicapped, just not "trained" to do most things and have no strength in it at all.

I use a ruler with the ridges on the bottom. it's a trade off. I dont' get any slippage, but I can't "slide" the ruler for cutting multiple pieces either. I have to pick it up and place it. I've also noticed that it needs to be replaced - SOON - as the edges are showing a lot of nicks and wear as it's a cheaper plastic than my June Tailor (which is a slidey ruler).