Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit-down Longarms >

Sit-down Longarms

Sit-down Longarms

Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 AM

All along, I have been saying that the HQ Sweet Sixteen was the one for me...but as the time to purchase draws closer, I'm beginning to have doubts. The dealer is 4.5 hours away and it seems like too much of an ordeal. I have been checking out other machines and thanks to someone's post, found out that Tin Lizzie has an Queen Quilter 18 sit-down model. This is a major investment for me and don't really want to make a mistake, so, I'm asking for opinions. I know that's like asking for Do you like for Ford or Dodge" and everyone has their own opinions, but, I really would like to see what my friends on the board have to say.
Do you have the sit-down longarm machine, if so what kind and of course the pros and cons of your machines.
We will be purchasing a longarm at the end of March, just not sure which one at this point. One on the frame isn't a viable option due to space and not being able to stand for long periods of time and lack of strength in my arms, that is the reason for the quest of a sit-down. I am looking forward to any comments and advise you have to offer.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 AM

The "George" is fantastic. comes with a wonderful table. About $8000. I think its from APQS. Check it out.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 AM

I have 2 friends who have the Pfaff Grand Quilters and they love them. One uses hers just sitting on a table where the other one has the full frame set up. I do believe these are considered mid-arm rather than longarm, but they might do what you need them to do for not a huge investment.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 AM

I don't think I would like sitting at a table and moving a large quilt as well as moving the machine on a carriage at that price. Can you try using both? Are there any similar systems that rent time in your area so you could see what you like?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 AM

APQS George is a good machine. Not sure there is a rep in your area, but customer service by phone is excellent. You might also consider a longarm, or midarm that has a hydraulic lift. You can adjust the height so you can either stand, or sit to quilt. You'll want to get a light weight but sturdy machine. IMO APQS is the company to go with. Machines are built of aircraft aluminum which makes them lighter weight than most long arms. Check out their website. www.apqs.com. Check the dealer listing for reps in your area. My favorite in Canada is Matt Sparrow in Alberta. If you contact him he is a wealth of information. Tell him Becky, the rep in Nebraska suggested you contact him!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 AM

I'm going to second the comment about checking on the hydraulic lift. Try all the machines, you are making a huge investment. IMO, you are going to use your arms more by moving a quilt around that moving a lightweight head over the quilt. MQS is coming up. It's well worth the trip and you can try all the machines.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
The "George" is fantastic. comes with a wonderful table. About $8000. I think its from APQS. Check it out.
Do you have this setup? We are now looking into the George as well...DH says the price difference isn't a issue. MORE comments PLEASE!!! I really need your opinions.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I'm also curious. I've been doing FMQ on my home machine and I'm doing OK. I was wondering how easy the transition would be from moving the fabric to moving the machine. To me it's a whole different motion.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 AM

I too have issues with standing or walking so have explored this at several quilt shows and shops. The George is a wonderful machine, however, note that the orientation is the same as a domestic machine. The HQ 16 sit down has the orientation the same as a long arm and I found I liked that much better. I didn't like the feel of the Tin Lizzie. There was another machine made by Pennywinkle Valley Ranch that I really liked and is much closer to my price range. They have a web site if you care to look at it. I think it was called Smooth Operator.

Since this is a substantial investment, take the time to try them out in person. Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 AM

I have a frame but have only used it for practice so I don't have anything to add but just wanted to toss out some questions/thoughts in case you haven't thought about them.

The frame I have is adjustable in length from crib to king size so I have it at queen but have the ability to add the extensions if I were to need them. Some frames are supposed to be collapsable so they can be stored when not in use.

Standing ... some people use a saddle stool to roll along as they quilt on a frame

With a sit down frame you would still have to baste the quilt (I can't crawl around on the floor ... bad knees)

With a frame your quilt orientation stays the same where with a sit down frame you can turn it every which way (a plus in my book because I'm not good enought to draw upside down)

hmm, that's all I can think of for now. Good luck in your search and I'd like to hear what you decide and what you think after you've tried it. The frame I have was given to me and I'm not entirely convinced that I wouldn't like a sit-down system as well.

Susan