Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
The "Tippy" method of hand applique >

The "Tippy" method of hand applique

The "Tippy" method of hand applique

Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM

this is the method I use. I've tried others but this is what I come back to.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 PM

Great tutorial! Thank you for taking the time to post it.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Google Goddess

Thanks for the tutorial,

You are the greatest Tippy!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:23 AM

Thank you so much for your wonderful tutorial!! :thumbup: I have always been afraid to try my hand at applique but you make it look so easy. I just might give this a try!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by peppermint
Thank You. I always wanted to applique. It is the first quilts I check out at any quilt shows. Are you able to turn under smaller pieces or do you have another tip up your sleeve. I'm a better hands on learner, then a book learner and you explained wonderfully with your pictures.
I do them all basically the same peppermint. I had one quilt started that had hundreds of little circles about the size of a dime.. I did the drawstring and cardboard circle trick.. then I stored them in old pill bottles.. when I took them out of the bottle they were sooo nicely creased!! It was a snap to stitch them. The same quilt also had small leaves and they also worked well with this technique.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by quilterfly
I'm trying to improve my applique skills & this is a great tute! Thank you. I've been working on some blocks which have stems (like flower stems) that are quite narrow and I'm having trouble with the turned under part due to the fact that I can only turn under about 1/8" on each side or they will overlap & you can see it. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't really continue the block until I get the stems done & I've been at it for a couple of weeks now.
If I am understanding the problem.. you end up with a "ridge" down the stem from 3 layers of fabric.. am I right?
Rather than decrease the size of the seams and risk them raveling (I refuse to do all that work to watch it fall apart) I will use a slightly wider seam and fold it in 1/3's so the stem may be a little thicker.. but you don't get that 3-d ridge down the stem. Make any sense? If I'm totally off base with what you're asking let me know.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM

Wonderful tute! Thank you. Now I can't wait to do one of my own.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Thanks, Tippy, for a good tute. I, too, love appliqué. Reminds me of my precious grandmother.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy
I'm trying to improve my applique skills & this is a great tute! Thank you. I've been working on some blocks which have stems (like flower stems) that are quite narrow and I'm having trouble with the turned under part due to the fact that I can only turn under about 1/8" on each side or they will overlap & you can see it. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't really continue the block until I get the stems done & I've been at it for a couple of weeks now.
If I am understanding the problem.. you end up with a "ridge" down the stem from 3 layers of fabric.. am I right?
Rather than decrease the size of the seams and risk them raveling (I refuse to do all that work to watch it fall apart) I will use a slightly wider seam and fold it in 1/3's so the stem may be a little thicker.. but you don't get that 3-d ridge down the stem. Make any sense? If I'm totally off base with what you're asking let me know.
I hadn't thought of this tip, but I will try it. Thanks so much for a prompt reply to my cry for help. Your tutorial is very clear & it is appreciated. I used Roxanne's glue to secure the edges on one piece which certainly worked, but it made the seam hard to push the needle through and because of arthritis my knuckles are all swollen so I can't keep a thimble on my finger, & now it's getting pitted & sore. After this I may stick to machine applique. I am pretty good at that.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy
I don't use the glues for the same reason.. my old fingers just won't let me.. and I have trouble dragging the thread through all that. If you do the "3fold" and do my little stitches in the outer edges you're only going through one layer at a time and it is a wee bit easier.. Good luck.. Tippy
I hadn't thought of this tip, but I will try it. Thanks so much for a prompt reply to my cry for help. Your tutorial is very clear & it is appreciated. I used Roxanne's glue to secure the edges on one piece which certainly worked, but it made the seam hard to push the needle through and because of arthritis my knuckles are all swollen so I can't keep a thimble on my finger, & now it's getting pitted & sore. After this I may stick to machine applique. I am pretty good at that.