Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 13 Ways to Make Differant Looking Quilt Blocks from One Quilt Block Pattern

Wonderful information,Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thank you for posting such a detailed post.

Fascinating. Will add these instructions to my list of things I hope to try in the near future. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks for sharing! Fabulous - shows us all how arranging and rearranging repeatedly can yield many different results. Great fun :-D

Thank you so much for taking the time to show all the pictures and explain your technique. This is so very helpful for a newbie like me! I'm certainly bookmarking this for sure!

Thank you so much for all the time you spent on this for us. What a wonderful thing to do. I've already bookmarked the page and PM'd you. Now I just need to print out the directions. Thanks again for such a detailed "tutorial"!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingranny
    Thank you so much for all the time you spent on this for us. What a wonderful thing to do. I've already bookmarked the page and PM'd you. Now I just need to print out the directions. Thanks again for such a detailed "tutorial"!!
    thank you all for your kind words. Actually when I am sewing something or designing something I am thinking through the steps and in my mind I am saying ok now you need to tack this or you need to watch out for this etc. It is funny! I now think in teacher mode alot of the time! LOL So writing this is downloading my brain! :XD: :XD: :XD: I am clearing out the thoughts that have been lurking!! LOL I have been thinking about doing this color play for quite awhile. I actually have another more intricate looking block that I plan to post too soon. I played with color on it and it fascinates me how much it changes the look when you make small changes in color and placement. Sooooo much fun to explore the possibilities!!!

Blog Entries
    This is great. Thanks for sharing.

I'm already looking forward to your next block post!!!!!

I went to bed to early last night. But glad I saw this first thing today. These are just so neat. I have a question though, in your directions for the wing block. That ends up making 2 1/2" blocks which would make an 8" 4x4 block, right? I started making the wk 16 block yesterday, and my brain is still dead. Trying to make a 12" 4x4 block. I know if I just did sqaures, each sqaure would be 3 1/2", but the original cutting piece has to be larger, and the 30 degree temp is 3 in. Should I just add 1/2 all around or maybe make it 4" to start. Am I making any sense? Help.

Blog Entries
    these are absolutely lovely,and it looks like you are having lots of fun too!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    I went to bed to early last night. But glad I saw this first thing today. These are just so neat. I have a question though, in your directions for the wing block. That ends up making 2 1/2" blocks which would make an 8" 4x4 block, right? I started making the wk 16 block yesterday, and my brain is still dead. Trying to make a 12" 4x4 block. I know if I just did sqaures, each sqaure would be 3 1/2", but the original cutting piece has to be larger, and the 30 degree temp is 3 in. Should I just add 1/2 all around or maybe make it 4" to start. Am I making any sense? Help.
    Kl Did I send you a 3 1/2' template with a grid and a 4 1/2" with the 30 degree score?

You will need to cut your swatches 2 (for the body of the block) need to be 6 1/2" x 4" and the other 2 (the wings) need to be 6" x 2 3/4". You will still have a bit of leftover but you can recycle them.
    Then the template to cut the actual block is a 3 1/2"

I guess I needed to actually do one of these. I thought I had the math figured out on them but it wasn't quite right. This time the numbers are right.

You will need the 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" and a 6 1/2" ruler. I don't send out the 6 1/2" as any ruler will work for that part. But if you need the other two let me know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacie
    these are absolutely lovely,and it looks like you are having lots of fun too!!
    Oh I did and I do!! This is my favorite part of quilting aside from seeing something all done. I hate hate hate the process of sewing the blocks together LOL but it is a necessary evil to get to the end!! I love to design and I love to see the finished project but the middle is my least favorite part!!!

Awesome!!!!!! i will need to make this block

tea

Blog Entries
    I PM.d you for the templates,can hardly wait to try some of the layouts...jacie

WOW !!!!!!

Rhonda, go back and look at that one you do not like at all. Do you see 4 cats and 2 milk bowls? Might change your attitude towards liking the block. It does have potential

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    Rhonda, go back and look at that one you do not like at all. Do you see 4 cats and 2 milk bowls? Might change your attitude towards liking the block. It does have potential
    LOL I see the bowls but the cats are a stretch for me. I can usually see things like that. Where do you see the ears? I wasn't sure if the two points were the ears? It is an idea tho!! If anyone likes it then by all means they are welcome to use it! thanks for pointing it out to me!

Blog Entries
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Blog Entries
    Rhonda, these are awesome! But, what are these 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" templates with 30 degree markings? I have one, but it's only 3". Do you have new ones available? If so, I'll PM you and enter my request! (I started a small project just to test out your templates, but didn't get far -- life interrupted!)

Rhonda you blocks are just awesome. How do you find the time? I feel blessed to have time to get the quilts that I already have started (some of them are still in my head) finished. K

You are amazing. Thank you so much for all your tutes. This one is so exciting. Can't wait to try it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie
    Rhonda, these are awesome! But, what are these 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" templates with 30 degree markings? I have one, but it's only 3". Do you have new ones available? If so, I'll PM you and enter my request! (I started a small project just to test out your templates, but didn't get far -- life interrupted!)
    Evie when I started the Sampler Quilt Along I decided to provide templates for a 12 1/2" quilt block size.
    So the 4 x 4s I used in the Sampler uses a 3 1/2" template and a 4 1/2" scored template
    The 6 x 6 grid uses a 2 1/2" template and a 3" scored. So if you are wanting to do the 4 x 4s I used in the 13 from 1 quilt block thread then you will need the 3 1/2 and 4 1/2" templates. Just let me know.

Blog Entries
    Ronda, I just received the templates that you sent me. I would like to thank you for being so generous by sending these to us for free. I also want to thank you for your great tuts. I would have never thought that changing colors would make such drastic difference in appearances of a block. What a great friend to all of us newbies on this board you are.

Wow...these are awesome! Can't really fathom how they all come out differently with the same cuts ! I must ask you for the template...you pull thru again yet for another great idea! Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast