Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Butterflies for magnets or applique

Blog Entries
    just go back up to the top of the page, click on "bookmark" near Rhonda's name and when the screen changes, write in the box, click on "save". then to check to see if you did this right, go to the top of the page, click on "my bookmarks" and see if it is there. Hope this helps! make sure that you are bookmarking page 1, where the tutorial is... :-)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    This is cute Rhonda, what a great idea; I'd use this for appliqué and do other shapes too! Thank you! :-D

I thought it would be nice to use for applique too. Thank you Rhonda!

Blog Entries
    Thank you Rhonda, those are very cute butterflies :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone I have been making these for several years now. I have a few on my online site.

You can do hearts like this also and make magnets out of them or applique. Sunbonnet Sue skirts could be cut out of the confusion(crumb) also. I haven't actually done that but it is a thought.

I had some I had done that I used very light airy fabrics and I loved the look. They looked like they would fly away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Im to stupid to figure it out I just printed it at 27 pages when you print it, but next time Im goning to keep your instruction and do step by step

k3n
    Blog Entries
    The last pics you posted are beautiful! Lily would love these - perhaps I can make some with her. :-D

Blog Entries
    I really like them made with the light fabrics. It gives then that gossamer feel.

Rhonda, how do you affix your magnets to the fabric so they'll stay on the frig? I have 1/2 inch strips with a sticky side. Should I also use fabric glue to make sure it stays put?

Blog Entries
    Is the magnetic strip staight or does it want to curl? If it came off of a roll they sometimes won't stay on well. I haven't done anything but stick them on, But a bit of fabric glue won't come amiss.

I prefer using a flat magnet piece. I like to get the magnets for business cards, It is flat and stays on well. Of course I use cotton. If you are using something other than cotton I don't know how it will work.

Does this help Sheila?

Another thing I like to cut the magnet in a long strip rather than using a small square or circle shape.

Thanks Rhonda. I haven't sewed the middle (w/black thread) & put a magnets on yet. It is flat & comes in strips, says for office use & crafts. If it won't keep the butterflies up, I'll use a little fabric glue, let it dry, then try again. I also have E-6000 for jewelry, but not sure if that would harm the cotton.

I'm in the trial & error stage here. I'd hate to sell them & get neg feedback. I'll let you know later. TTUL.........

Blog Entries
    Sheila there is an alternative way to make them. You can cut out your butterly so it is all one piece for the top and when you cut the underside fabric you can sew them together wrong side out. All you need to do is slit the fabric where the body goes and then you can turn it right side out and add the magnet over the slit. Look at the yellow one I did. It was done this way. I did take some thread and tie the middle so it divided the wings better. If this is not enough explanation I can do a demonstration if you need.

OK, so are the butterfly wings supposed to lie flat (opened) or just one wing on the frig & other out a bit? Does that make sense? I have to lie down for a bit (leg & back pain), so will check back with you later. I think these are so cute.

Blog Entries
    They can do either one one Sheila. But if you want them to be flat it is better to use the one that is all one piece instead of two wings. The black thread will make it want to fold in half and stay part way open. I like them so they fold in half and stick out from the fridge because they look more real that way. But the other is just another way to do them.

Think I got it. I also want to make Ken & Kim a wall hanging w/three BFs placed randomly w/one lg open, two smaller in flight on a small doll quilt with a scene of running stream & mountains in background, as well as one for the frig. Those will be for 2010 Christmas present. Their kitchen is a pale apple green so almost any color will look good, plus their frig is polished metal. BFs would also look good on kitchen towels if I get that energetic.

Thanks for this idea. I'm going to make up pics & put them in a notebook of items I've made, hopefully for a Flea Market this Spring/Summer. I see my To-Do-List starting to get longer.

Blog Entries
    You're welcome Sheila I hope they sell for you. I sold a few when I had my stuff at a consignment shop. I think they are pretty and light looking. A breath of spring.
    Sara was moaning yesterday that the one she had on the fridge has disappeared so I suppose I need to make her another one! LOL

Great tute. Wonderful photography

Blog Entries
    Thank you Ann I appreciate your comments!

Banned
    Thank You. It sure is adoreable

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bev

what a wonderful treAT. At I wasn't where this was going with the adorable template,especially when you were laying scraps of color around. But once I saw how this was coming together, I love it. I have a template that was made for the center bofy of a butter fly, could that be used in place of the the wires? I think, even without batting, these would adorable aplaques on a pretty garden group.
    thank you. blue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestarmom
    what a wonderful treAT. At I wasn't where this was going with the adorable template,especially when you were laying scraps of color around. But once I saw how this was coming together, I love it. I have a template that was made for the center bofy of a butter fly, could that be used in place of the the wires? I think, even without batting, these would adorable aplaques on a pretty garden group.
    thank you. blue
    Feel free to use them any way you like! The basic idea can be adapted to alot of differant uses. I just love butterflies! If you are going to applique you can sew on the antennae instead of using wire.

Blog Entries
    awesome

Sheila Elaine, do you still make Auburn Scrub Hats? My 11 yr old GS in CT is gaga over Crimson Tide and sounds like something he would like. Thanks, Margaret

Blog Entries
    thanks 4 this toturial
    I loved your butterfly and the anntainae lol very cute
    and magnet inside will give it more places other than fixed to a quilt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast